Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

g2tegg

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2008
Now that the iPhone is available through Bell and Telus it should work. Give it a shot.

cjhunter

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2009
Hi

I am looking to buy an iPhone, on Rogers, from a friend. I have a Bell sim card and I was wondering if I unlocked the iPhone, can I use the Bell sim?

Thanks

Please let us know what happens. I have a Telus iPhone and am very curious as to whether it can use other SIM cards. Google hasn't been very informative.

maxim.iphone

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2010
From what I have read, your phone will be locked to Rogers. You can solve this by jailbreaking and unlocking the phone, which is easy enough.

You do not have to jailbreak your device to unlock it. Search the forum for unlock without jailbreaking instructions. That should help.

Also, nearly every carrier outside of the United States of America that offers the iPhone as a device under contract is either owned by AT&T (like Bell or Bell South) or has a contract with Apple like AT&T has which can exclude many carriers using GSM/GPRS/UMTS technologies. However, an unlocked iPhone is compatible with only GSM/GPRS/UMTS technology so goto: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_Network_Code to find your carrier and make sure that the network is compatible.

g2tegg

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2008
Also, nearly every carrier outside of the United States of America that offers the iPhone as a device under contract is either owned by AT&T (like Bell or Bell South) or has a contract with Apple like AT&T has which can exclude many carriers using GSM/GPRS/UMTS technologies. However, an unlocked iPhone is compatible with only GSM/GPRS/UMTS technology so goto: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_Network_Code to find your carrier and make sure that the network is compatible.

Bell, Telus, and Rogers are owned by AT&T? Ummmm no.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.