Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPad Apps

Old Feb 1, 2010, 08:46 PM   #1
Astro8973
macrumors regular

Why the seperate apps for certain functions?

I don't understand why there are separate apps for music, videos, itunes music store, and the app store. Wouldn't it make more sense to have the iPod app contain music, videos, itms, app store, and even the iBooks app/store? I just don't get why we need 5 separate apps when they could easily be 1.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 08:59 PM   #2
bossxii
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro8973 View Post
I don't understand why there are separate apps for music, videos, itunes music store, and the app store. Wouldn't it make more sense to have the iPod app contain music, videos, itms, app store, and even the iBooks app/store? I just don't get why we need 5 separate apps when they could easily be 1.
Well the iPod/iTunes app on your iPhone does in fact deal with music, music video's, movies, video podcasts and audio podcasts.

The app store is integrated into iTunes but they made it separate on the iPhone. Not sure why, but maybe because of the screen size and the space avail to put icons to cover all the categories? No idea.

The iBook store now shows up and likely won't be available on the iPhone or iPod Touch so it makes sense to keep that separate.

I count 3 apps on the iPad that covers the basis. App store, iTunes, iBook.
bossxii is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2010, 09:06 PM   #3
admanimal
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro8973 View Post
It is better to separate functionality into different apps on a device like this for usability reasons, as it allows each app's interface to be more specialized and less cluttered. Plus doesn't it make sense that if you want to watch videos, you tap the Videos icon, or the iBooks icon to read books? It just makes everything clearer and reduces the learning curve.
admanimal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2010, 07:47 AM   #4
TraceyS/FL
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by admanimal View Post
It is better to separate functionality into different apps on a device like this for usability reasons, as it allows each app's interface to be more specialized and less cluttered. Plus doesn't it make sense that if you want to watch videos, you tap the Videos icon, or the iBooks icon to read books? It just makes everything clearer and reduces the learning curve.
That's what I was thinking, i like them being separate.

But i think the confusion (at least i was having) is that on the iPhone apparently there is an "iPod" App that does Music & Video/Movie, while on the Touch they are separate Apps called Music & Video's.

The iPad appears to use the iPod App, along with the Video App - which seems strange to me.

But having them all separate means you can disable certain ones - like, my kids can't get to iTunes on the Touch they share. They can use the computer for that
TraceyS/FL is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPad Apps