Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacSA

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 4, 2003
UK
The article with the specifications for the new iMacs seems to suggest that a low end model will be introduced and aimed the educational market. As the eMac currently fills this niche, what is likely to happen to it? Do you think Apple will discontinue the eMac in the near future? :confused:

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
I doubt it. The emac is a LOT cheaper than a TFT screen imac will be until the price of flatscreens comes down. It's also a lot more rugged. Cheap and rugged - sounds perfect for education. I'd be amazed if Apple kill it off.

Zaty

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2004
Switzerland
I guess the current eMac is the last revision and will be phased out within the next few months. The problem with this is, of course, that the rumoured price of that education only iMac is much higher than the eMac's current price. While the eMac with its CRT has certain adavantages for the education market, manufacturers will cease producing CRTs in the not too distant future.

Converted2Truth

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2004
Hell@HighAltitude
I work at my college in the computer labs. Currently half of our campus computers have flatscreen monitors. From my experience, the flatscreens are nicer, but people touch them and press on them, and they don't last as long. Women have these deathly fingernails that they will press onto the screen causing distortion... trying to express why they can't get some .net crappy app to compile. I think it would be unwise to get rid of a CRT educational model... they are alot more durable. That said, I think apple also needs to expand their desktop offerings. Currently, you've got the overpriced all-in-ones and the expensive (although not nessesarilly overpriced) powermacs. IMO there is a big hole right in the middle. You guessed it... the cube.

Anyway, i expect the eMac to evolve... not dissapear. Just because of its affordability (extremely rare in the apple world of computing) and its durability.

vraxtus

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
caveman_uk said:
I doubt it. The emac is a LOT cheaper than a TFT screen imac will be until the price of flatscreens comes down. It's also a lot more rugged. Cheap and rugged - sounds perfect for education. I'd be amazed if Apple kill it off.

Rugged? :rolleyes:

What are you doing with it, carrying it around? :eek:

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
The eMac may enjoy "legacy" status quite soon, all depends on Apple's plans for the education market.

Right now the eMac @ $625 in packs of 8 is an attractive unit.

Anything more expensive -- even if it's faster -- starts to look like an advertisement for buying a Dell.

---

All depends on how quickly Apple can get the cost of the iMac G5 down to the old eMac price level.

May not be too quick at all, which is why we had the CRT iMac and eMac around for so long.

TurboDerek

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2004
working at a middle school with over 600 macs total and around 60 emacs I can tell you they can take a beating. I had them fall off desks, used at step ladders and written all ove.r A bit graffiti remover and they are good as new.

RandomDeadHead

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2003
fennario
I will bet my left testicle that the emac lasts another good year or two. In an elementary or middle school environment their is definitely a need for a computer whose screen will not break when a little finger presses too hard on it.

TFT's in an elementary school setting would be like putting a fine persian rug in a dog house instead of plywood.

punkmac

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2004
flat screens for younger folk

RandomDeadHead said:
I will bet my left testicle that the emac lasts another good year or two. In an elementary or middle school environment their is definitely a need for a computer whose screen will not break when a little finger presses too hard on it.

TFT's in an elementary school setting would be like putting a fine persian rug in a dog house instead of plywood.

In my local library they have flat screens in their children's section.

All they did is double tape a piece of plexi-glass over it.

Works....

I

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.