Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Feb 2, 2010, 06:36 AM   #1
randy98mtu
macrumors 65816

Plex and multiple movie formats

I'm just starting out with Plex. I have been making mp4 movies for ATV for a while. I have a large collection (275) of 480p movies, about 75 movies at 720p, and now I'll start keeping 1080p mkv's of my favorite movies for the Plex/Mini box. My question is, how do you keep them organized so that you don't have the same movie showing up 3 times in the Plex library? I've figured out the CNID for the iTunes SD-HD flag and I've been consistent with that on my 720p files if that helps, but I am guessing it won't.

Another Plex library question I have is if I just add my iTunes folder to my Plex library and flag it as music, my music videos and the movies folder in iTunes (purchased movies that apparently won't play through Plex anyway) won't get flagged properly.

I'm going to continue combing through the Plex guide, but prefer to get input from people who are using it so I can set up the best file structure, etc. Thanks.
randy98mtu is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2010, 06:53 AM   #2
Sky Blue

The movies should only show up once if you are scanning the folder once. Are you scanning one file multiple times?
Sky Blue is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2010, 07:00 AM   #3
randy98mtu
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Blue View Post
The movies should only show up once if you are scanning the folder once. Are you scanning one file multiple times?
Well since I don't have all movies in all formats, I have to scan all folders to get all the movies, but some will show up as many as 3 times between the 3 locations. I have one external drive for SD movies and TV shows, one for HD, and now I'll be adding a third local to the Mini for 1080p MKV's.
randy98mtu is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2010, 08:18 AM   #4
Sky Blue

Do you have more one movie in more than one format?
Sky Blue is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2010, 09:55 AM   #5
dekinseattle
macrumors newbie

there is a Clean Library function in the Settings area that has helped clean out items that shouldn't be there in my Plex Library -

but I should note you should only have one file for the movie - file extensions make for separate files so you would not want say - UP.mkv, UP.mp4 if you only want Plex to show UP once - with the 2 separate file extensions you have 2 separate files that will be added to Plex -

best thing to do is have one good solid directory of all your files - when I bought my Mac Mini I also bought a Drobo with 2-1.5TB drives to start with - this wall all my movie and TV Show rips for Plex are in one single place -
dekinseattle is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater