Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories

Old Feb 2, 2010, 11:15 AM   #1
HiFiGuy528
macrumors 68000

accessory idea. your thoughts?

I have an idea of a custom clamshell case for the iPad & Apple Bluetooth keyboard. This will turn the iPad into a super light weight touch screen iPadBook.

Your thoughts on the idea? Will it sell?
Old Feb 2, 2010, 11:16 AM   #2
roland.g
macrumors 603

Sounds bulky.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 11:17 AM   #3
miles01110
macrumors 604

Sounds like a battery hog.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 11:18 AM   #4
flopticalcube
macrumors G4

Sounds like a netbook.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 11:18 AM   #5
colmaclean
macrumors 68000

Sounds rather cumbersome to me.

Maybe you could call it an iPadBook, but not a MacBook. That would require OS X.
colmaclean is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2010, 11:19 AM   #6
HiFiGuy528
macrumors 68000

the clamshell will not need power so not additional battery drain other than the Apple Bluetooth keyboard.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 11:23 AM   #7
jlamb0
macrumors member

I'm not interested in getting the iPad unless it can replace my Macbook. The inclusion of iWork almost gets it there, but I need to be able to take notes in class, and I simply NEED a physical keyboard for that. The keyboard dock would be awkward to use on those small desks, and I would be worried about knocking the iPad over. The problem with using an undocked keyboard, either by bluetooth or USB, is that only the iPad or the keyboard would fit on the desk at a time; not both.

A product like you have just described would finally push the replacement of my macbook into the realm of realistic possibility! I would definitely buy one.
jlamb0 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2010, 11:26 AM   #8
flopticalcube
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjAmTraX View Post
the clamshell will not need power so not additional battery drain other than the Apple Bluetooth keyboard.
But the Bluetooth on the iPad will drain its power.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 11:26 AM   #9
MikeyTree
macrumors 6502

It depends on how it's implemented and how it looks. The idea could be a bulky monstrosity, but if it's elegant and light I might be interested.

I suspect you'd be better off making a custom dock or hinge for connecting the two, or a carrying case for both that turns into a stand for the ipad while you use the BT keyboard.
MikeyTree is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2010, 12:31 PM   #10
r0k
macrumors 68040

This is an interesting thread. Clearly the iPad has people re-thinking what it means to have a portable computer even if Apple is desperately trying to position it as a media device that happens to run iWork.

To take notes in class or a meeting, I think I'd rather use the on-screen keyboard or handwriting recognition and have the whole thing flat on my desk so it's not in my way of seeing what's going on in the room. Even if I was doing a presentation, I'd rather have the thing flat on the desk and operate it remotely, possibly using that new wifi based iPhone as a touchpad app. Now that's an interesting dilemma. Clearly Logitech intends the app to be used for an iPhone or iTouch to control a computer but now that the iPad is out, there is the possibility of using an iPhone or iTouch to control an iPad. Two devices that are supposed to be peers in Apple's scheme of things are suddenly wanting to be treated differently.

As for a clamshell case, I bet you could tuck a bluetooth keyboard into the case Apple showed during the press conference. Of course there's the possibility that somebody knocks your iPad off the table when they walk by. People bump my laptop screen all the time but I'd want a way to keep the iPad from being easily knocked off the table in those situations where I wanted it to be used as if it was a traditional notebook screen. I'm sure there will be dozens of products in this category offering various viewing angles and so forth.

Of course the screen technology of the iPad might make it practical to support viewing angles we aren't accustomed to with notebooks. Nobody lays their notebook screen down to type because the viewing angle is severely limited. I wonder if people would mind an iPad flat on the desk and a keyboard flat on the desk in front of it? No mechanical gadgetry required. If the viewing angle is as good as Apple says it is, this should be possible.
r0k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2010, 12:39 PM   #11
anthonymoody
macrumors 65816

I actually plan on using an iPad as my primary computer so have thought a great deal about "the keyboard thing."

For the home base, buying the keyboard dock is a no brainer. As for the OP's idea...ultimately it's all in the execution. If the accessory helps protect the iPad, adds minimal weight beyond the Apple BT keyboard, and doesn't scratch the screen when folded....then sure it might sell IF well executed.

HOWEVER, I think this also requires that two other questions be answered first:

1) How is the onscreen keyboard? I mean, when the iPhone was introduced (but not shipped) so many people thought it'd be useless. Now I'm so proficient with the iPhone's keyboard that I scoff at the idea of a hard keyboard on a phone (and I'm a former BB addict).

2) How portable is the keyboard dock itself? Does it fold? Will it have it's own separate case?

So, to the OP, I think your idea supposes that the answer to those questions is: 'bad' and 'not very.' Given Apple's history, I wouldn't count on it.

TM
Old Feb 2, 2010, 03:35 PM   #12
bbydon
macrumors 6502a

I always wished this was made

I always wished this was made...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	olo.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	213266  
Old Feb 2, 2010, 05:12 PM   #13
pubwvj
macrumors 68000

Case - thin with mag clasp is my pref just like my iPodTouch
Keyboard unless maybe I'll just use one of our existing bluetooth ones.
http://SugarMtnFarm.com
pubwvj is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories