Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flanamac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2009
Has anyone who has an iPhone or Ipod Touch tried the updated software for iTunes and their iPod (updated referring to the one released yesterday Feb. 2, 2010)? The syncing problems with the sorting of podcasts is still not operational and is a mess.

If you have tried it and see it isn't fixed, have you called Apple? Has this been reported? How do you report this stuff anyway? I just got off the phone with Apple and I guess if you do not give them a serial number, they put you on hold and come back and say, "we are not aware of that problem and that is just the way it works...Enjoy!"

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
Are you talking about syncing a playlist with podcasts in it ?

If so try syncing it from the podcasts section when your iPod Touch/iPhone is connected, just select the smart playlist from there instead of the music section

I changed mine to like this just after iTunes 9 was released and podcasts sync fine and in the correct order.

just checked, I have the podcasts smart playlists checked to sync in the music and podcast section

flanamac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2009
Are you talking about syncing a playlist with podcasts in it ?

If so try syncing it from the podcasts section when your iPod Touch/iPhone is connected, just select the smart playlist from there instead of the music section

I changed mine to like this just after iTunes 9 was released and podcasts sync fine and in the correct order.

just checked, I have the podcasts smart playlists checked to sync in the music and podcast section

Ok, I have some followup if you don't mind...

I currrently have smart playlists for each podcast with live updating unchecked. What I would like to do is eliminate smart playlists at all and just sync the podcasts like normal people. I do not mind changing the info for a podcast to make it sort in the iPod by title instead of creation/release date (as a recent Apple support guy told me).

If you have an idea as to how I can get rid of the smart playlists, that would be great.

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
Ok, I have some followup if you don't mind...

I currrently have smart playlists for each podcast with live updating unchecked. What I would like to do is eliminate smart playlists at all and just sync the podcasts like normal people. I do not mind changing the info for a podcast to make it sort in the iPod by title instead of creation/release date (as a recent Apple support guy told me).

If you have an idea as to how I can get rid of the smart playlists, that would be great.

Not 100% on how to get it sorted by name

I just have a playlist called podcast with live updating enabled, this add new podcasts to the end and it is always in sync with the oldest at the top/newest on bottom on my iPhone (I listen to them while in the car)

I havent tried this but just had a look, it might be worth checking the track number on the info for the podcasts, if this is entered to make these numbers relate to the podcasts in alphabetical order it should sync them that way

music seems to get synced using track number, so if this is used for podcasts they might hopefully do the same

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.