Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tucker3434

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2009
Every once in a while my cursor will flash on the screen and it will scroll to the bottom of the page I'm viewing. If I scroll up, it goes right back down. It quits after about 30 seconds. What's going on?

tucker3434

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2009
Nobody has had this problem? I've had it happen on two separate Imacs in two separate locations.

kathmac

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2007
uncontrollable scrolling and beeping

I often experiencing occasionally uncontrollable scrolling and often beeping and the cursor moves around on its own. I have disconnected the mouse and keyboard and used different ones but the same thing occurs. I can see no pattern to the problems so what could this be?:confused:

Rob.G

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2010
Arizona
I have been having this problem for almost a year. I've posted about it in different threads here and nobody has had any idea what to do with it.

Since my last post about it, I've learned a few things. First, after a trip to an Apple Store, they were ready to replace the motherboard and bluetooth board in my 17" MBP because of the problems. But then there was a warranty issue and that never happened.

Being thoroughly pissed, I bought a Windows machine and was ready to be rid of all things Apple. That lasted about fifteen minutes before I boxed up and returned the Windows machine.

So I went out a few days ago and got a new 11.6" MacBook Air. I thought, cool, I can finally be rid of this damn scrolling problem. Guess what? IT STILL EXISTS, even on the new machine!

I know it's not the mouse itself, necessarily (or if it is, it's a hardware flaw). I destroyed my first Magic Mouse last March one day when I was already pissed off and it sent me over the edge. So I bought a new one, and lo and behold, the problem still existed.

Back to now. So yeah, my new MBA is doing it too. I'm not sure what to do. It's not doing it as often as on my MBP (yet). I was unable to reproduce it the day I had the MBP at the Apple Store. I think the machine has to be on for a while before it does it.

What's really bad is it makes using Google Maps almost completely useless. Almost any mouse movement results in the maps zooming in and out. I LOVE this mouse, but I hate it too.

Rob

MayTrix

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2011
What's really bad is it makes using Google Maps almost completely useless. Almost any mouse movement results in the maps zooming in and out. I LOVE this mouse, but I hate it too.

Rob

I was about to write that I've had the exact same problem, as well as constantly flipping pages back and forth while using the internet...

However, I had opened "mouse" in system preferences before reading this post and got side tracked. I was actually trying to look up what scrolling with or without inertia meant and hoped that would be the problem - and well I think I've fixed the problem. You simply have to change it to 'without' as inertia means momentum. When I took it off and tried google maps, no more craziness! I can still zoom in and out, it just doesn't fly around uncontrollably!

I hope this helps - I have been pretty close to throwing my mouse as well!
: )

Rob.G

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2010
Arizona
So the bug appears to be in the Inertia code. Thing is, Inertia for me is what I LOVE about the Magic Mouse, or the Mac in general. Without it, it's no better than Windows.

FWIW, I recently experienced the "random scroll" bug when using just the touchpad. It was brief, but I also don't use the touchpad often. So I suspect this bug is amplified by the Magic Mouse. Maybe one day Apple will fix it.

Rob

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
What did you expect? It's a "magic" mouse. It magically scrolls by itself. ;)

Rob.G

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2010
Arizona
Update... it's not the inertia code that's buggy. It's the entire scrolling routine.

I was just in Google Maps trying to plan a motorcycle ride today, and it was doing that damn zoom thing, so I opened Prefs and disabled Inertia, went back to using it. It was better, but after a few minutes it did it again. Frack. So I disabled scrolling entirely, and that solved it. Then I turned it back on when I was done.

Rob

keybon

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2011
So I disabled scrolling entirely, and that solved it. Then I turned it back on when I was done.

I suppose nobody found a good solution for it, yet?

I have exactly the same problems and found a clue on Live View from Better Touch Tool. It looks like a mouse sends some random signals every 2 seconds and some of them are recognized as a scroll.

Short screencast: http://cl.ly/113J0X2d2V1R0b204001

Unfortunately I don't have any solution for it. I'll try to get a response from Apple support.

mindquest

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2009
I was about to write that I've had the exact same problem, as well as constantly flipping pages back and forth while using the internet...

Same problem when using the internet, it sucks especially when filling out forms and it goes back to the previous page.

Fingers crossed somebody has a fix otherwise I am thinking of getting a logitech mouse.

d4niel

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2011
Brazil
My solution

I got the same weird problem with my brand new 21" iMac. A blinking cursor, the magic mouse scrolls on its own while about long 30 seconds.

After three days hamming the mouse against the table, I accidentally turned off the wireless keyboard. It solved the problem.

So stupid...

dbrok23

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2011
Had the Same Problem

I had a similar problem where the mouse pointer would disappear and the page would automatically keep scrolling to the bottom in an endless loop. I tried putting in new batteries in the wireless keyboard, and that seems to have worked so far. This error almost seems like it's caused by the space bar getting stuck, so if the battery swap doesn't work, try cleaning out your keyboard. Sometimes dust, crumbs, etc can cause problems. Try cleaning the keyboard with a can of air.

offtoyoga

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2012

However, I had opened "mouse" in system preferences before reading this post and got side tracked. I was actually trying to look up what scrolling with or without inertia meant and hoped that would be the problem - and well I think I've fixed the problem. You simply have to change it to 'without' as inertia means momentum. When I took it off and tried google maps, no more craziness! I can still zoom in and out, it just doesn't fly around uncontrollably!

I hope this helps - I have been pretty close to throwing my mouse as well!
: )

Finally! This worked for me! The uncontrolled scrolling was getting worse and worse ... changed batteries, got new keyboard, lost my mind (ha ha). Thank you so much for posting the solution to this incredibly annoying problem. :)

harrisonw1998

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2011
Try cleaning the top. If some oil or liquid gets on it, the tracking is messed up...... Happens to trackpads too.

sircosti

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2013
I had the same problem, with a new iMac: I was getting a lot of random scrolling, in the middle of editing work, and it was very annoying.

Contacted Apple and they told me to do an SMC (?) reset, which changed nothing, of course.

I then realized that the problem was from an over-sensitive Magic Mouse. Many users seem to complain about this over-sensitivity, especially for newer computers.

So, a while ago, I took the following advice the website at the end of this post.

Control the touch-sensitive area of this mouse with the free app MagicPrefs (not clear why Apple does not provide something this useful):

download it from http://magicprefs.com/ and install

then go to its Preferences

in the new window that opens, click on Configure Scrolling, at the bottom right

you will then see the sensitive area of your mouse

click and drag to reduce that area

I had found that especially touching the edges of the mouse start the random scrolling

so, I made the touch-sensitive area for scrolling very small, and in the top-middle of the mouse, about where the scroll-wheel would be on a normal ;) mouse.

Hope this saves you all a lot of frustration.

P.S. I learned about MagicPrefs from one of these frustrated people
http://blog.digitaltavern.com/mac-my-day/web-apps-apple-magic-mouse-and-safari-gestures-a-bad-combo

Hermanvs

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2013
I had the same trouble. Then I noticed when the battery of the mouse was about 30% the irratic scrolling started. Disabling bluetooth and replacing batteries of the wireless mouse stopped the magic scrolling

gberg

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2018
Wisconsin
Every once in a while my cursor will flash on the screen and it will scroll to the bottom of the page I'm viewing. If I scroll up, it goes right back down. It quits after about 30 seconds. What's going on?

I was looking through to find an answer to this same problem. While checking my Magic Mouse settings, I noticed that the power was low. I recharged it and it seems to be doing okay. I'm sure others checked this so it may not be their issue but I wanted to share that this worked for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.