Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events

Old Feb 3, 2010, 10:50 AM   #1
mscriv
macrumors 68040

German man saved on frozen sea by webcam spotter

Quote:
BERLIN – Watch the sunset, save a life.

A woman admiring the sunset on a tourist webcam in northern Germany spotted a man who was lost on the frozen North Sea and probably saved his life by alerting authorities, police said Wednesday. The man had climbed over pack ice off the coast to photograph a sunset near the town of St. Peter-Ording, then became disoriented on the ice, Husum police spokeswoman Kristin Stielow said.

Unable to locate the beach, the man began using his camera to flash for help. That got the attention of a woman hundreds of miles (kilometers) away in southern Germany who was watching the sunset over the sea on her computer. The woman contacted police, who located the man's signals and guided him into shore by flashing their car lights. Officers then lectured him on the dangers of trekking on the ice.

Police would not identify the man or the woman who spotted him. Stielow said he was a German tourist in his forties. She said locals are well aware of the risk of disorientation as darkness falls and the beach becomes hard to identify, but vivid sunsets over frozen landscapes often draw people away from the shore.

At the time the man lost his bearings, the air temperature was below freezing. He could have frozen to death or fallen through the ice, Stielow added. St. Peter-Ording is popular tourist destination known for its beaches and sailing, and the local tourism board runs a Web site with a webcam. The board, however, said images from the webcam are routinely erased and the dramatic flashes from the man's camera were not saved before the story came to light.
LINK

Seriously, how crazy is this story? It boggles the mind to think of all the factors that coincided for this to take place.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 12:58 PM   #2
Gregg2
macrumors 601

Did you see the story about a dog rescued from an ice floe on the TV?
Gregg2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2010, 05:22 PM   #3
chown33
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscriv View Post
It boggles the mind to think of all the factors that coincided for this to take place.
Oscar the cat wasn't out on the ice, so the guy definitely wouldn't have died.
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=859366
chown33 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2010, 08:13 PM   #4
dmw007
macrumors 603

Wow, that is amazing. I agree mscriv, it is boggling to think of everything that had to line up in order for him to be seen and saved all from a lady watching a webcam!
dmw007 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2010, 08:12 AM   #5
mscriv
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg2 View Post
Did you see the story about a dog rescued from an ice floe on the TV?
I've not heard about this one. What's the story?
Old Feb 5, 2010, 08:20 AM   #6
Gregg2
macrumors 601

http://www.wtop.com/?nid=105&sid=1875358

There were over 2 million hits on the topic when I searched!
Gregg2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2010, 08:53 AM   #7
mscriv
macrumors 68040

Thanks for the link. That's crazy too.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events