Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EvolutionXGSR

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
Well, after my bad experience(hardware) with my old G5 pro, I finally decided to replace it with an iMac.

I was going to order it earlier in December, but because of availability & the January announcments from Apple, I decided to wait a little more just in case an update was offered.

Well, I just placed my order with B&H after checking periodically for availability. Ordered myself a 27" I7. Can't wait for it to get here. :D

Now,
I have 2 hard drives that are sitting in my G5 that I would like to use with the iMac, a 250gig(OEM) and a WD 1TB Caviar HD. From what i've been reading online, the best method for doing this would probably be to buy a Hard Drive Enclosure.
I have been eyeing the Startech SATADOCK22UE.
http://www.startech.com/item/SATADO...-Docking-Station-for-Dual-25-or-35in-HDD.aspx
SATADOCK22UE.Elarge.jpg

SATADOCK22UE.Clarge.jpg

My questions are:

- Would anyone recommend any other product over this? If so, why?
- Is there anything preliminary I should or have to do when in starting up my iMac for the first time in order to use this?
- What would be the easiest method to restore most of my stuff(itunes, iPhoto, etc.)?
- Would it be recommended just leaving the HDs in the device permanantly and use them for backup once I have my important stuff restored?
- Had someone recommend "Migration Assistant" for restoring data. Is this recommended?

Sorry for all the individual questions. I figured that I should just ask them all at once instead of starting more than one thread.

knewsom

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2005
- Would anyone recommend any other product over this? If so, why?
I'd recommend something with FW800, and a fully enclosed case made from aluminum. If you can live without the extra speed, USB is fine.

- Is there anything preliminary I should or have to do when in starting up my iMac for the first time in order to use this?
shouldn't be.

- What would be the easiest method to restore most of my stuff(itunes, iPhoto, etc.)?
use the setup assistant when it launches the first time you boot your machine. It'll transfer everything for you quite well.

- Would it be recommended just leaving the HDs in the device permanantly and use them for backup once I have my important stuff restored?
Well, like I said, you may want to use individual cases, preferably made from aluminum to disperse heat. Using them for backup is good, but once your computer is stable and has been up and running properly for a month or more, you should consider using Time Machine to do a backup, either to the 1tb drive, or to another hard disk. The 250 would be good for temporary storage, a go-between, etc. You can never have too many hard drives. You'll find a use for it.

Sorry for all the individual questions. I figured that I should just ask them all at once to not start more than one thread.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.