Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier this week, a report briefly mentioned that Clayton Morris of FOXNews.com, who offered several reports about the iPad coming to Verizon in the weeks leading up to the device's introduction, had spoken to a Verizon source who claimed that Apple and Verizon are continuing to work on an iPad deal despite AT&T having been the only announced partner at Apple's media event. Morris has finally filed his full report on the events, noting that according to his source, the companies are "still talking", although Morris acknowledges that the statement does not necessarily mean much.
Of course "still talking" doesn't mean anything. It would be ridiculous to think these companies aren't still talking: that's what big companies do. To be fair, these talks are very much in keeping with reports from Wall Street analysts who expect some Apple/Verizon partnership announcement this year. But I'll believe it when I see it.
Despite all the attention focused on the iPad at the moment, the report also claims that Verizon is much more interested in the iPhone due to its more lucrative revenue stream of contracted voice and data service. While sources are optimistic that a deal is in the works for later this year when AT&T's exclusivity agreement for the iPhone is reported to expire, other observers remain skeptical of the benefits of rolling out new iPhone or iPad hardware compatible with Verizon's CDMA-based network just as the company is preparing to transition to the next-generation LTE (4G) standard that will offer global hardware compatibility.

Another interesting tidbit claimed in the story is that AT&T won the battle among GSM-based service providers with its willingness to "outbid" its competitors in pricing.
"I think the pricing speaks for itself," said AT&T spokesman Mark Siegel. "Apple sets the price for these plans and the $29.99 unlimited plan is comparable to our data plans for other devices."

Comparable? Actually AT&T brought its A game, offering much cheaper options for consumers than currently exist for netbooks.
It remains unclear exactly why a Verizon-Apple deal for the iPhone didn't get done as many expected, although it seems possible that AT&T may have set the bar with its pricing structure and Verizon was unwilling to match it. Alternatively, Apple may have decided that it was unable or unwilling to offer hardware compatible with Verizon's CDMA network at this time.

Article Link: More Details on Verizon's iPad and iPhone Negotiations Reportedly Surface

Becordial

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2009
"Apple sets the prices for these plans.." That is so sad to hear AT&T talk like that. Defeatist. Maybe they did bring out their best or whatever but I'm used to phone companies doing their network and pricing, and handset makers doing their thing.

In no way would Apple be dictating to our local networks what a plan will be sold for. The benefit of that independence between maker and service provider is that all our networks will happily sell the iphone to you unlocked or locked (ie subsidised or at cost) and then you just pick any plan you like with which ever network you want, plus they compete like crazy to improve the plans.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
I am guessing Steve holds resentment towards Verizon when he offered them the iPhone first and tried to strong arm him.

So he is going to make them pay through the nose to do any business with him now.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Verizon fanboys are still in denial... also, Fox News? Does not compute and must be false or simply BS to increase viewers.

I am guessing Steve holds resentment towards Verizon when he offered them the iPhone first and tried to strong arm him.

So he is going to make them pay through the nose to do any business with him now.

This is one of the reasons why I strongly believe Verizon will not get it. El Jobso's memory is long term.

elhungarian

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/5.0.16831/2444; U; en) Presto/2.2.0)

If Verizon screws this deal up I'm not renewing my contract.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
Another interesting tidbit claimed in the story is that AT&T won the battle among GSM-based service providers with its willingness to "outbid" its competitors in pricing.It remains unclear exactly why a Verizon-Apple deal for the iPhone didn't get done as many expected, although it seems possible that AT&T may have set the bar with its pricing structure and Verizon was unwilling to match it. Alternatively, Apple may have decided that it was unable or unwilling to offer hardware compatible with Verizon's CDMA network at this time.

Also, this. The iPad is like a mini netbook in the eyes of the consumer (average Joe) and people will compared and say to themselves "why the hell does the iPad cost $30 for unlimited internet when T-Mobile, Sprint or Verizon offer $60 capped at 5GB for their netbooks...."

It is not rocket science which device they will choose factoring in the need for 3G.

I am sure AT&T delivered here and like it or not, the $14.99 and $29.99 price points for 3G are a first and unmatched in the industry.

Chaos123x

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2008
Verizon sucks you can't talk and surf at the same time.

Which on the face of it, does not sound that bad. BUT.

If your surfing the net while somone is trying to call you, it gets sent straight to voicemail without even ringing.

saturn79

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2010
Personal Story

I really, really, REALLY hope that the iPhone comes to Verizon. It will be the final factor that decides whether or not I will get an iPhone or not this summer.

At the moment, I am stuck on my Env3 (bleh) and my iPod Touch as two separate devices. If the iPhone comes in the summer, I can do an annual upgrade to get the iPhone and extend my contract. If it doesn't, I will have to wait a year and a half before I can get have one in my possession :(

I have several friends in the same situation. I'm pretty sure that if the iPhone comes to Verizon, sales will EXPLODE. :apple: and Verizon just need to get along :mad:

szark

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2002
Arid-Zone-A

If your surfing the net while somone is trying to call you, it gets sent straight to voicemail without even ringing.

Well, the same thing happens on AT&T if you aren't using 3G, so it really isn't that big a difference for a lot of people.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
I really, really, REALLY hope that the iPhone comes to Verizon. It will be the final factor that decides whether or not I will get an iPhone or not this summer.

At the moment, I am stuck on my Env3 (bleh) and my iPod Touch as two separate devices. If the iPhone comes in the summer, I can do an annual upgrade to get the iPhone and extend my contract. If it doesn't, I will have to wait a year and a half before I can get have one in my possession :(

I have several friends in the same situation. I'm pretty sure that if the iPhone comes to Verizon, sales will EXPLODE. :apple: and Verizon just need to get along :mad:

Sorry, but highly doubtful it will happen, specially if Fox says so. Fox has a bad record with Apple rumors.

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

A lot of eople are missing an important point here… yes, verizon is going to LTE, but they've GOT to have 3G fallback capability on any 4G device they have on their network. It'll be a while before the LTE network is robust enough to have the footprint the verizon 3G network has. So any iPad or iPhone that goes to verizon may well have LTE ability, but it must have 3G CDMA hardware built in as well.

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
We are comparing 3G to 3G... AT&T wins on the round of surf 'n talk...

And thats about all they win on. And for majority of people probably dont care if they can do both at the same time.. id be willing to bet at least 2/3rds of iphone users have no idea you can even do it.

mosipher

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.2.14912/2444; U; en) Presto/2.2.0)

Chaos123x said:

That's false information. Never on Verizon has a call gone straight to voicemail when I'm surfing the web. In a sense it "pauses" the data to make it available for a voice channel.

egautreaux

macrumors member
May 5, 2009

What phone and service are you using? Because my Blackberry Storm on the Verizon network doesn't do that.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
I'd be more concerned about Google coming out with new stuff every time Apple does over contracts with Verizon.

Google seems to be purposefully trying to copy all of Apple's moves.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
And thats about all they win on. And for majority of people probably dont care if they can do both at the same time.. id be willing to bet at least 2/3rds of iphone users have no idea you can even do it.

Well, you'd be wrong, that is one of the selling points of AT&T phones and the iPhone (see 2 iPhone ads on that).

Also, they win with fastest network. More on that, Gizmodo did a whole testing on 8 markets and AT&T came out victorious. Verizon in 2nd place, fancy that.

Also, customer care, AT&T reps have the respectfulness of calling me sir or mr. With Verizon I had to scream so that they would take of a recurring MMS charge I never ordered nor authorized.

Do I need to go on?

egautreaux

macrumors member
May 5, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

A lot of eople are missing an important point here… yes, verizon is going to LTE, but they've GOT to have 3G fallback capability on any 4G device they have on their network. It'll be a while before the LTE network is robust enough to have the footprint the verizon 3G network has. So any iPad or iPhone that goes to verizon may well have LTE ability, but it must have 3G CDMA hardware built in as well.

As much as I want a Verizon iPhone, is there enough room in the current iPhone housing to fit both radios? I couldn't see Apple developing another iPhone casing just to fit for Verizon.

rtdunham

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2003
St. Petersburg, FL, Northern KY
...for later this year when AT&T's exclusivity agreement for the iPhone is reported to expire...

With all the regulation of wall street, I'm surprised ATT can persist in not revealing when its contract with apple expires. That would seem to be substantial information requiring disclosure. Does anyone know how they can do that, or whether that conforms to disclosure requirements for other companies?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.