Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

InternetDude08

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 16, 2009
The title says it all. I got a new iMac just over a month ago. I finally got my iPhone hooked up to iTunes and it syncs and charges great.

I understand I can connect the iPhone and iMac together using Bluetooth but I have no idea why I'd want to do that? What are some reasons why I'd use that functionality?

Thx.

Ninja Dom

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2007
Not much use to you apart from if you want to do Internet Tethering.

If your internet connection to your iMac stops working then you can connect your iPhone to your iMac (cable or bluetooth) and use your iPhones network to do internet tethering.

SXR

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2007
Netherlands
this is a pretty interesting thread though. I wanted to know the same thing. Is the internet tethering the only thing you can do?

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2007
I think most people would like to sync their itunes with their iphone through bluetooth so its more automated.

SXR

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2007
Netherlands
That would be awesome, even if I had to pay for it with Mobile Me I would go for it.

good point, I can imagine Apple putting this into MobileMe as a feature you will have to pay for.. nevertheless, i would love it.

imagine yourself walking into your room with your iphone , and it starts backing up to your mac and syncing podcasts and App updates. GREAT!

though I think this would defeat the purpose of the Apple universal dock a bit...

sapporobaby

macrumors 68000
good point, I can imagine Apple putting this into MobileMe as a feature you will have to pay for.. nevertheless, i would love it.

imagine yourself walking into your room with your iphone , and it starts backing up to your mac and syncing podcasts and App updates. GREAT!

though I think this would defeat the purpose of the Apple universal dock a bit...

Uhhhh.... For the most part is it already a part of MobileMe. If I make a change on my MBP, it goes to MM. Same if I make a change on my iPhone it goes to MM. If I make a change on MM it goes to my iPhone or MBP. iTunes over MM would be slower than slow and eat up incredible amounts for bandwidth. The best would be USB3 or at least wifi syncing (the iPad had the N standard in it).

Alan64

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2009
California
Does the iPhone iTunes remote control app use Bluetooth? I like being able to control iTunes without having to be right at the computer (and without having to buy the iMac remote).

saxofunk

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2006
Denver, CO
iPhone 802.11n

iTunes over MM would be slower than slow and eat up incredible amounts for bandwidth. The best would be USB3 or at least wifi syncing (the iPad had the N standard in it).

My understanding was that the 3GS has a 802.11n chip in it, but it is crippled down to 'g' band. Hope they don't do anything like that with iPad.

I use an application called BluePhone Elite which does a little more with the iphone, though not as much as some older bluetooth phones. You might want to check it out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.