Does anyone knows if I can find a 256 GB SSD that fits on our computers? - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 3, 2010, 02:01 PM   #1
jns2001
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Question Does anyone knows if I can find a 256 GB SSD that fits on our computers?

Hi guys, I am going on a gig for a company that has some systems that runs on Windows, I only have 128 GB on my computer, and with a few movies, pictures, Bento, MS Office, and a few utilities I only have 44 GBs available, I am afraid that if I install Parallels and Windows this computer will have almost no space for future files. Any idea of how much Parallels and Windows will occupy in terms of disk size? Any ideas of how to streamline OSX in order to leave more space available. I have used the search function, but I haven't found too many answers there.

TIA for anyone that replies to this message.

Sorry guys, but I have a MBA rev C with 128 GB SSD.

Last edited by jns2001; Feb 3, 2010 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Dooh!! Forgot to tell what machine I have
jns2001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2010, 02:04 PM   #2
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem
 
GoCubsGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
No one can effectively answer your question or any question relating to hardware upgrades for a machine without the specifics of your machine. Rev A connections differ from Rev B & C MacBook Airs.

Notwithstanding the lack of information, a 256GB ZIF2 SSD can be found on eBay and says it will fit a MacBook Air.
__________________
Because I'm a smartass.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2010, 02:05 PM   #3
spinnerlys
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: forlod bygningen
If you have a MacBook Air you need 1.8" SSDs.

http://www.google.com/products?clien...ed=0CBYQrQQwAA



What jessica. said is also very relevant.
spinnerlys is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2010, 02:09 PM   #4
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem
 
GoCubsGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinnerlys View Post
If you have a MacBook Air you need 1.8" SSDs.

http://www.google.com/products?clien...ed=0CBYQrQQwAA



What jessica. said is also very relevant.
Thanks, but also it is imperative to know the revision due to connection differences as I understood.
__________________
Because I'm a smartass.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2010, 02:13 PM   #5
spinnerlys
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: forlod bygningen
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
Thanks, but also it is imperative to know the revision due to connection differences as I understood.
That might be true, I don't know much about the different MBA revisions.

PS: Why have you gone through so many avatars lately, and has that dragon any cats to eat? I know some www pages where you mind find dragon friendly food - interested in pug meat?
spinnerlys is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2010, 02:15 PM   #6
jns2001
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
No one can effectively answer your question or any question relating to hardware upgrades for a machine without the specifics of your machine. Rev A connections differ from Rev B & C MacBook Airs.

Notwithstanding the lack of information, a 256GB ZIF2 SSD can be found on eBay and says it will fit a MacBook Air.
Jessica, on my search, I believe that nobody paid to see if it works on the MBA's rev C.
jns2001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2010, 02:17 PM   #7
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem
 
GoCubsGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinnerlys View Post
That might be true, I don't know much about the different MBA revisions.

PS: Why have you gone through so many avatars lately, and has that dragon any cats to eat? I know some www pages where you mind find dragon friendly food - interested in pug meat?
The cat will be back as soon as the pieces as picked up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jns2001 View Post
Jessica, on my search, I believe that nobody paid to see if it works on the MBA's rev C.
So what I can gather is that you have a MBAir rev C?
I believe RunCore has only up to 128 GB there may be a limitation within the MBAir that will not allow you to use a 256GB or that you will be paying more than you want for it. You may need to invest in a portable external or use cloud storage.
__________________
Because I'm a smartass.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2010, 02:27 PM   #8
jns2001
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
The cat will be back as soon as the pieces as picked up.


So what I can gather is that you have a MBAir rev C?
I believe RunCore has only up to 128 GB there may be a limitation within the MBAir that will not allow you to use a 256GB or that you will be paying more than you want for it. You may need to invest in a portable external or use cloud storage.
Yeah, I just updated my initial post, newbie stuff...MBA rev C 128 GB SSD. On the cloud thing is there any services that you might know that is not too intrusive? I have a .mac account with 10GB of storage, would this be the easier way to expand the storage capacity? Any other recommendations?

On the MBA limitation, I understand that it needs to have an interface called LIF and needs to be less than 5 mm of height, any other limitation that I should be aware of?

Thanks for the quick reply.
jns2001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2010, 02:29 PM   #9
MacModMachine
macrumors 68000
 
MacModMachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by jns2001 View Post
Yeah, I just updated my initial post, newbie stuff...MBA rev C 128 GB SSD. On the cloud thing is there any services that you might know that is not too intrusive? I have a .mac account with 10GB of storage, would this be the easier way to expand the storage capacity? Any other recommendations?

On the MBA limitation, I understand that it needs to have an interface called LIF and needs to be less than 5 mm of height, any other limitation that I should be aware of?

Thanks for the quick reply.
your welcome to hunt....

but i can save you some time...runcore is the only company that designs decent replacements.

i have hunted around for ages for a 256gb ssd...there is none but the crap that shows up on ebay and looks fake.

if you find one...let me know...i want one badd.
__________________
MBPr - 13" 2.5/8GB/128GB (Swapped for 480 OWC Aura)
MacModMachine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2010, 02:32 PM   #10
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem
 
GoCubsGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by jns2001 View Post
Yeah, I just updated my initial post, newbie stuff...MBA rev C 128 GB SSD. On the cloud thing is there any services that you might know that is not too intrusive? I have a .mac account with 10GB of storage, would this be the easier way to expand the storage capacity? Any other recommendations?

On the MBA limitation, I understand that it needs to have an interface called LIF and needs to be less than 5 mm of height, any other limitation that I should be aware of?

Thanks for the quick reply.
The connection and size are the only two I recall off hand. Don't be a smartass about updating your original post because the keyword here is "update" as in, not present at time of answering. RunCore may be your only option at this time albeit I've seen enough reports about their crappy customer service that makes me nervous. If they hit the 256GB mark then they'd likely be one of the few if not the only one outside whatever Apple opts to use for the Airs.

That said, .Mac is one, Amazon also has data storage at what I consider to be a good rate. You also aren't locked into a certain amount of storage, it's more flexible. Mozy is another like Amazon but I like the idea of Amazon being larger; Mozy has been around a while though so look into both. Short of getting your own site/host and storage that way or looking into a way to remote to a machine at home or a NAS server based elsewhere, I am not sure.
__________________
Because I'm a smartass.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2010, 04:56 PM   #11
nj-mac-user
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
The connection and size are the only two I recall off hand. Don't be a smartass about updating your original post because the keyword here is "update" as in, not present at time of answering.
He didn't really sound like he was being a smartass to me.
__________________
27" iMac 2.8GHz i7, 8GB RAM iPad 2 16GB iPhone 4 32GB
nj-mac-user is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2010, 06:39 PM   #12
jns2001
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
The connection and size are the only two I recall off hand. Don't be a smartass about updating your original post because the keyword here is "update" as in, not present at time of answering. RunCore may be your only option at this time albeit I've seen enough reports about their crappy customer service that makes me nervous. If they hit the 256GB mark then they'd likely be one of the few if not the only one outside whatever Apple opts to use for the Airs.

That said, .Mac is one, Amazon also has data storage at what I consider to be a good rate. You also aren't locked into a certain amount of storage, it's more flexible. Mozy is another like Amazon but I like the idea of Amazon being larger; Mozy has been around a while though so look into both. Short of getting your own site/host and storage that way or looking into a way to remote to a machine at home or a NAS server based elsewhere, I am not sure.
I guess that the only alternative here is wait and see if Runcore can build one.

Thanks for the cloud storage insights.
jns2001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2010, 06:40 PM   #13
jns2001
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj-mac-user View Post
He didn't really sound like he was being a smartass to me.
I wasn't. I even left a comment why I have updated the post.
jns2001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2010, 08:54 AM   #14
Steven in VA
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
another storage option

"I have a .mac account with 10GB of storage, would this be the easier way to expand the storage capacity? Any other recommendations?"

If you have a .Mac account, you can post the pictures in your gallery and take them off your Air. And I think you should have 20 GB of storage. That's what I have as my share of a family account.
And since you have (I hate this name) MobileMe, you can use Back To My Mac. By using that and my Time Capsule, my little Rev A 64GB Air essentially has a 500 GB hard drive. Might that work for you?
Steven in VA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2010, 10:31 AM   #15
Runcore
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
I will give you guys the skinny on 256GB 5mm SSD Zif or Lif.

The only 256GB 5mm drive that can be built at this time are with the JMicron 601 or 602 controller or the SMI controller. In the JMicron case the temp will be as high as 80 degrees during operation and in both cases the random read and write speeds are atrocious less than 1MB/sec in Crystal.

We would be building a 256GB Pro IV but the controller is about 2 times the size of the SMI and JMicron controller not to mention we also have to make room for the cashe and our PCB designer cannot find a way to fit all of the flash on the PCB and stay within 5mm thickness.

There still may be a future for it when 32GB Flash is in mass production. But my guess the price and availability is going to be outrageous.

Matt Dawson
Runcore
Runcore is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2010, 11:24 AM   #16
applesupergeek
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runcore View Post
I will give you guys the skinny on 256GB 5mm SSD Zif or Lif.

The only 256GB 5mm drive that can be built at this time are with the JMicron 601 or 602 controller or the SMI controller. In the JMicron case the temp will be as high as 80 degrees during operation and in both cases the random read and write speeds are atrocious less than 1MB/sec in Crystal.

We would be building a 256GB Pro IV but the controller is about 2 times the size of the SMI and JMicron controller not to mention we also have to make room for the cashe and our PCB designer cannot find a way to fit all of the flash on the PCB and stay within 5mm thickness.

There still may be a future for it when 32GB Flash is in mass production. But my guess the price and availability is going to be outrageous.

Matt Dawson
Runcore
Hey Matt, thanks for the heads up, appreciated.
applesupergeek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2010, 04:44 PM   #17
nj-mac-user
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runcore View Post
There still may be a future for it when 32GB Flash is in mass production. But my guess the price and availability is going to be outrageous.
Unfortunately, probably outrageous like that $2000 one selling on ebay. I want more space bad, but not that bad.
__________________
27" iMac 2.8GHz i7, 8GB RAM iPad 2 16GB iPhone 4 32GB
nj-mac-user is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
External Caddy Required for 256 SSD, can't find one anywhere! acidwoody MacBook Pro 21 May 14, 2014 07:55 PM
Which is better, Lacie Rugged 256 SSD Thunderbolt or Buffalo 256 GB Thunderbolt SSD? kapalua12 Mac Peripherals 5 Oct 14, 2013 04:19 PM
Price Advice: MBP 2012, 16GB, 256 ssd + 512 ssd azpekt Buying Tips and Advice 2 Mar 8, 2013 05:29 AM
256 SSD + 6tb NAS vs 512 SSD PhoenixMac MacBook Pro 1 Jul 22, 2012 07:38 PM
Possible to Find 13 "Ultimate" but with 256 SSD in Apple Store stock? jiholl MacBook Air 6 Jul 22, 2012 01:41 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:08 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC