Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Aug 24, 2004, 09:36 PM   #1
Ja Di ksw
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to Ja Di ksw
airport password and transfer speeds

Hi all. I have an airport extreme that works, for the most part, well. The only problem with it is that when my girlfriend comes over, her powerbook won't work with it unless I take off the password. If the password is gone, it works. If I turn the password on, it won't. We know we're typing it in correctly on her computer, its a short password all in lower caps, and we've done it over and over. Why can't her computer get through the password? My computer is the newest 15" pb, 1.5 GHz, her's is the same com, just one generation earlier. I doubt that stuff matters, but might as well put it.

The other thing is, with the airport extreme, it says it can transfer at up to 54 Mbps. I've never come even close to this. Sending something 150 or so Mb to another computer on the airport network, such as through Rendevous, takes not that much time, but definitely a lot longer than 3 seconds. How can you get 54 Mbps? Is there a good program to get that speed between winblows (roommate, sigh) and mac?

Thanks

Last edited by Ja Di ksw; Aug 24, 2004 at 09:38 PM.
Ja Di ksw is offline   0
Old Aug 25, 2004, 02:07 AM   #2
superbovine
macrumors 68030

If you click the apple icon on the top left and look under location is the PB on automatic. Also, if she has an basestation with the same name as your basestation, but without a password and saved under a location that would cause the problem as well.
superbovine is offline   0
Old Aug 25, 2004, 03:26 AM   #3
geeman
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ja Di ksw
The other thing is, with the airport extreme, it says it can transfer at up to 54 Mbps. I've never come even close to this. Sending something 150 or so Mb to another computer on the airport network, such as through Rendevous, takes not that much time, but definitely a lot longer than 3 seconds. How can you get 54 Mbps? Is there a good program to get that speed between winblows (roommate, sigh) and mac?
You're not comparing like with like.

54mbps is "fifty four mega BITS per second"

150Mb is "one hundred and fifty mega BYTES"

54mb is a little less than 7Mb. While you're never going to get the full 54 megabits, 150/7 is around 21 seconds. Does that sound nearer to the transfer rate you're getting?

Also bear in mind that the Airport Extreme drops down to 11mbps if you're further than about 50 feet from the base station.

Hope that helps
Old Aug 25, 2004, 12:02 PM   #4
Ja Di ksw
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeman
You're not comparing like with like.

54mbps is "fifty four mega BITS per second"

150Mb is "one hundred and fifty mega BYTES"

54mb is a little less than 7Mb. While you're never going to get the full 54 megabits, 150/7 is around 21 seconds. Does that sound nearer to the transfer rate you're getting?

Also bear in mind that the Airport Extreme drops down to 11mbps if you're further than about 50 feet from the base station.

Hope that helps
Ah, it does, didn't know it was Bits, not Bytes. Thanks

I'll try superbovine's tips when she comes over next with her pb, thanks.
Old Aug 25, 2004, 01:14 PM   #5
macjersey
macrumors newbie

On the password problem- check your encryption. If you configure an airport base using 10.3, it defaults to WPA encrption. Then if a 10.2 machine tries to join, it'll have a problem. WPA wasn't built in to 10.2 or in most PC OSs.
macjersey is offline   0
Old Aug 25, 2004, 03:41 PM   #6
Ja Di ksw
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by macjersey
On the password problem- check your encryption. If you configure an airport base using 10.3, it defaults to WPA encrption. Then if a 10.2 machine tries to join, it'll have a problem. WPA wasn't built in to 10.2 or in most PC OSs.
It's on WPA, but she has OS 10.3

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers