Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 9, 2003
Hi all. I have an airport extreme that works, for the most part, well. The only problem with it is that when my girlfriend comes over, her powerbook won't work with it unless I take off the password. If the password is gone, it works. If I turn the password on, it won't. We know we're typing it in correctly on her computer, its a short password all in lower caps, and we've done it over and over. Why can't her computer get through the password? My computer is the newest 15" pb, 1.5 GHz, her's is the same com, just one generation earlier. I doubt that stuff matters, but might as well put it.

The other thing is, with the airport extreme, it says it can transfer at up to 54 Mbps. I've never come even close to this. Sending something 150 or so Mb to another computer on the airport network, such as through Rendevous, takes not that much time, but definitely a lot longer than 3 seconds. How can you get 54 Mbps? Is there a good program to get that speed between winblows (roommate, sigh) and mac?

Thanks

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
If you click the apple icon on the top left and look under location is the PB on automatic. Also, if she has an basestation with the same name as your basestation, but without a password and saved under a location that would cause the problem as well.

geeman

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2001
At My Mac
Ja Di ksw said:
The other thing is, with the airport extreme, it says it can transfer at up to 54 Mbps. I've never come even close to this. Sending something 150 or so Mb to another computer on the airport network, such as through Rendevous, takes not that much time, but definitely a lot longer than 3 seconds. How can you get 54 Mbps? Is there a good program to get that speed between winblows (roommate, sigh) and mac?

You're not comparing like with like.

54mbps is "fifty four mega BITS per second"

150Mb is "one hundred and fifty mega BYTES"

54mb is a little less than 7Mb. While you're never going to get the full 54 megabits, 150/7 is around 21 seconds. Does that sound nearer to the transfer rate you're getting?

Also bear in mind that the Airport Extreme drops down to 11mbps if you're further than about 50 feet from the base station.

Hope that helps

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 9, 2003
geeman said:
You're not comparing like with like.

54mbps is "fifty four mega BITS per second"

150Mb is "one hundred and fifty mega BYTES"

54mb is a little less than 7Mb. While you're never going to get the full 54 megabits, 150/7 is around 21 seconds. Does that sound nearer to the transfer rate you're getting?

Also bear in mind that the Airport Extreme drops down to 11mbps if you're further than about 50 feet from the base station.

Hope that helps

Ah, it does, didn't know it was Bits, not Bytes. Thanks

I'll try superbovine's tips when she comes over next with her pb, thanks.

macjersey

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2004
On the password problem- check your encryption. If you configure an airport base using 10.3, it defaults to WPA encrption. Then if a 10.2 machine tries to join, it'll have a problem. WPA wasn't built in to 10.2 or in most PC OSs.

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 9, 2003
macjersey said:
On the password problem- check your encryption. If you configure an airport base using 10.3, it defaults to WPA encrption. Then if a 10.2 machine tries to join, it'll have a problem. WPA wasn't built in to 10.2 or in most PC OSs.

It's on WPA, but she has OS 10.3

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.