Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

henrikrox

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
Hi im getting a PC as a backup, im not getting a extra monitor since i want to use the imac 27" screen. However, it doesnt seem any newer radeon cards work with the imac. Just the 4890, and that card isnt sold on any stores here in norway.

Anyone care to elaborate?

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
iMacs use custom made cards based on mobile variants. The Radeon Mobility 5XXX series is still fairly recent. The iMac will not get an upgrade for a few more months so its going to be at least that long before you see it as an option. THere is no provision for upgrading to 3rd party cards.

definitive

macrumors 68020
Aug 4, 2008
what i'm getting from your post is that you want a 5xxx series in your imac. the answer is that it's not possible to install your own video cards in an imac. 4890 does not work in a imac either, because the fastest graphics chip available for imac is 4850. you might have confused the imac for a mac pro. in which case, that system might have some support for 4890 if you flash it with some hacked firmware.

dtoa

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2010
I believe the op is asking whether or not there has been any update on the inablility to use the 27" iMac as a monitor for a pc running on an ATI Radeon 5xxx. From what I have been reading, this capability exists for pcs using a 4890 or a 5970 but not on pcs running on any other 5xxx. http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1462524&page=9. I would like to buy a Mac (it will be my first) in the near future, but I would also like the ability to keep my pc around for the time being, so I have been following these threads lately with much interest.

henrikrox

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
Sorry about that, maybe i should have written my question a little bit better.

Anyways dtoa is right, i have a PC in my bedroom where my future imac will also be. And i would like to keep my PC and use the iMac as the display for it in the future. Because i can easily upgrade my case pc.

Dtoa, could u please write in this thread if u find out anything more, i know the 4890 works, but it isnt sold in norway anymore. And 5970 is very expensive, and i aint buying it before im 100% that it works.

I find it odd that people havnt tested this more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.