Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jalain

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2004
Hi,
We have about 10 PowerBooks in our school. They are G3/400 Firewire computers running OS 9.2.2. They haven't been used in a couple of years and none of them will power on. I checked Apple Discussions and found an article that was called Power Management Unit. It explains how you have to press the reset button on the back, wait 5 seconds, and then press the power button. I did this on all of them and it didn't work at all.

Any suggestions?

Sincerely,

Jalain

g3powerbook boy

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2010
i bought 3 g3 powerbooks from someone on craigslist about 2 months ago they were sold for parts or repair. first he tried to install windows vista on them then they sat until i bought them. i had the same issue with them, so i unplugged the back up battery from the main board did the reset procedure and they work fine now. of course i had to install os x 10.4.11 also but try opening the keyboard and unplugging the back up battery do the reset procedure then see if it powers up. if it does plug the back up battery back in and it should be fine. my units are the g3 powerbook pismos 500mhz/firewire so the set up should be the same as yours. good luck with your project they are really nice working units, of course i updated the ram on this one to 512 mb soon to be 1 gb or close. i use it every day now for an avg. of 4-5 hours a day and it works perfect. :apple:

jalain

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2004
Please explain

Thanks for your advice. What do you mean by open the keyboard? Did you lift the keyboard off the computer and did you actually detach it from the computer and reattach it?

Sincerely,

Jalain

g3powerbook boy

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2010
easiest thing to do is unlatch it from the frame of the computer and gentlly fold it over so you dont unplug it from the main board.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.