Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ocellnuri

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2004
Raleigh, NC, USA
I'm thinking about tinting/dying the illuminated apple logo on the lid of my 12" Powerbook a nice shade of blue. Does anyone know exactly what material the apple is? It will help me choose the best dye.

Also, has this ever been done before? If so, can anyone provide links?

Thanks.

stoid

macrumors 601
I think that the Apple is some clear piece of plastic. The light that you see is the LCD panel shining through the back. The back piece of aluminum is supposed to be able to come off, though I'd imagine doing so will summarily void any and all warranty.

SiriusExcelsior

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2003
Canis Major
Doesn't really matter what material... u can replace the plastic/acrylic all together!

http://homepage.mac.com/jimyounkin/PhotoAlbum6.html

001-01.jpg-thumb_269_202.jpg

ocellnuri

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2004
Raleigh, NC, USA
BINGO!

There's mention of a guide for doing this to 12" Powerbooks that inspired the above modification, does anyone have the link handy?

Thanks!

ocellnuri

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2004
Raleigh, NC, USA
Well I think I'm still considering applying a dye to the outside of the logo. Taking it apart has the advantage of being un-do-able, but I may have to wait until my 3 years of AppleCare is up before I obliterate my warranty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.