Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Aug 24, 2004, 11:03 PM   #1
h4ckintosh
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to h4ckintosh
Lightbulb Tutorial: Fix Airport connections to 3rd party wireless routers

Ok, this isn't really a tutorial, but some help for those of you who are having trouble with 3rd party wireless router's (i.e connecting is dropping after a minute). Seemingly I owned a Linksys BEW11S4 before I bought my iBook, and it didn't play fair with my card when I connected, and crashed the network. So here are my tips to wireless bliss...

1. go to your router's homepage and immediately get the most recent firmware! this may or may not help the problem...and I'm not responsible if you screw up

2. go to Apple menu > system preferences > network > airport >TCP/IP >configure IPV6 >

set it to off
, as it seems some of these 3rd party routers aren't with the times and supporting IPV6 yet.

I hope this helps with anyone thats been having problems, because I know this almost drove me to router homicide

Last edited by h4ckintosh; Aug 24, 2004 at 11:18 PM.
h4ckintosh is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers