Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Old Feb 5, 2010, 11:53 AM   #1
Shadylane315
macrumors regular

easier way to turn on mac mini?

I am setting up a mac mini for a friend who is an elderly and I need an easier way to turn on a mac mini instead of having him reach down in the bottom and extend his arm all the way into the back of the mini. Is there a remote control somewhere that can be programmed?

thanks!
Shadylane315 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2010, 12:32 PM   #2
Alrescha
macrumors 65816

When the mini is off, it's *off*. There is no way to turn it on except by hitting the power switch.

An exception is that you can tell the mini to start up automatically after a power failure but cutting power to a running OS is asking for trouble in the long run.

But why turn it off in the first place? The mini uses next to no power while sleeping, and can be woken by mouse or keyboard. I haven't touched the power button of my mini since I plugged it in the first time.

Alternatively, since the mini is so small, you might consider putting it somewhere that is easier to reach.

A.
Alrescha is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2010, 12:35 PM   #3
Icaras
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadylane315 View Post
I am setting up a mac mini for a friend who is an elderly and I need an easier way to turn on a mac mini instead of having him reach down in the bottom and extend his arm all the way into the back of the mini. Is there a remote control somewhere that can be programmed?

thanks!
Your friend doesn't need to do anything. The Mac Mini, by default, will automatically go to sleep in about 10 minutes. If he wants to use the mac again, simply wake it up with the mouse or keyboard.

And he doesn't need to turn it off, unless he is planning a weekend trip or something.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 08:27 AM   #4
MacHamster68
macrumors 68040

dont bother about turning it off, all my macs are sleeping very well and use not much power then , and one mousclick and they are awake ,
cant be easier then that
MacHamster68 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2010, 11:30 AM   #5
belltree
macrumors 6502

If you don't use the optical drive very much just turn it around so the power button is facing forward
belltree is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2010, 03:20 PM   #6
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

I'd suggest to your friend that they keep the mini on the desk/table near the front where its easy to reach, and only turn it off at night. The power button at the back is the only way to turn it on when its *off*.

Cheers!
mrsir2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2010, 08:05 PM   #7
foofan
macrumors 6502a

i remember years ago i could turn on computer by pushing a button on the key board. is this still possible? maybe with a 3rd party keyboard? i always liked that feature
foofan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2010, 08:07 PM   #8
scottness
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by foofan View Post
i remember years ago i could turn on computer by pushing a button on the key board. is this still possible? maybe with a 3rd party keyboard? i always liked that feature
Yeah, I kinda miss that one, too.

I never turn my mini off. I restart maybe once a month, but you don't need to get to the power button for that.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 10:17 PM   #9
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by foofan View Post
Yeah, I had that on my Preforma and my LC3 lol... Don't know why they took it away, it made desktops easier to turn on, because a lot of people ask me how you turn on an iMac
Old Feb 7, 2010, 12:13 AM   #10
ADent
macrumors 6502a

The power button thing is a violation of USB standards.

The mini uses little electricity while on (20W or so)- it is basically a laptop.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 02:29 AM   #11
scottness
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADent View Post
I guess that's why we lost it...
Old Feb 7, 2010, 10:51 AM   #12
old-wiz
macrumors 604

Why not just plug the mini into a power strip and set it to turn on when power comes up? you could plug the monitor/speakers into the same power strip and put it at a convenient spot.
old-wiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2010, 05:21 PM   #13
DewGuy1999
macrumors 68040

Another possibility would be to use System Preferences/Energy Saver to Schedule it to startup and/or shutdown at a specific time each day. This would save him the trouble of using the power switch each day but it would still be available if he needed it during an "off" time.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 06:10 PM   #14
bumzo1
macrumors 6502a

I would just put it to sleep each time. I do that with my iMac and haven't had any problems. I only shut it down when I'm updating
Old Feb 7, 2010, 10:54 PM   #15
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADent View Post

The mini uses little electricity while on (20W or so)- it is basically a laptop.
How is it a violation?
Old Feb 8, 2010, 01:51 AM   #16
ADent
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsir2009 View Post
How is it a violation?

Quote:
If you plug in a Macintosh keyboard to a Windows machine, you will blue screen the computer, if you press the power button. This is because the USB implementation on a Macintosh involves dropping the fourth pin low to turn on the machine. This signal, which is out of spec for USB, is not handled by many drivers, including that of Windows 2000 RTM. The low fourth pin tells the Macintosh to come out of sleep mode, or to turn on or off.

SNIP

Finally, the USB committee got the them to fix up their keyboards, and now they do something in software for that key, or so I am told.
Also around this time Apple really started to use standard components and drop custom designed stuff that had little Apple features.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini