Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scrapple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 23, 2004
hes a developer.. apple probably sent a few out to big developers..
he made that snowboarding game

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
i noticed the same. This is the kind of app apple should ban (useless).

Yes, must be fake because there's lag on the sliding between faces! :rolleyes:

Anyway, why should they ban ANY app? If it doesn't damage your device or do anything malicious why not let people decide what THEY want to buy? Having a gatekeeper for apps is a big enough issue when they are just filtering for security and stability, but when they start filtering for content it becomes another thing all together.

I think it's pretty clever, though. Would I buy it? Probably not, but I could see downloading it to give my 2 year old a good laugh.

Also, before someone says it (someone on Giz already did) I assume it uses the mic to trigger the mouth to move, not a camera.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
It's done with green screen and/or motion tracking

Take a look at the left side of the screen where the guy is holding the device. You'll notice when his fingers move, there's a distortion happening on the device where his fingers are.

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
hes a developer.. apple probably sent a few out to big developers..
he made that snowboarding game

Highly unlikely at this point. I'm not even 100% sure of the legality of doing that given that it lacks FCC approval. If anyone outside of Apple is going to have an iPad at this point, it's going to be legitimately big developers like EA and Gameloft.

Yes, must be fake because there's lag on the sliding between faces! :rolleyes:

Actually it's not that there's a lag...the sliding actually appears to occur before the finger swipe. Plus if you stop it on certain frames you can see where bits of the guys fingers have been chopped by the green screen/compositing process.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
Highly unlikely at this point. I'm not even 100% sure of the legality of doing that given that it lacks FCC approval. If anyone outside of Apple is going to have an iPad at this point, it's going to be legitimately big developers like EA and Gameloft.

The Wifi version does not require FCC approval.

You can be sure that Walt and a couple - 3 other hitter tech reviewers have a wifi version, or will shortly.

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
The Wifi version does not require FCC approval.

You can be sure that Walt and a couple - 3 other hitter tech reviewers have a wifi version, or will shortly.

Are you sure about that? My understanding is that any device that radiates any kind of signal (Wifi, bluetooth, 3G, whatever) needs FCC approval. My iPod Touch lists an FCC ID number on the back of it just like my iPhone does. I could be wrong though.

Here's how you can tell the iPad in the video is not real:

fingerchop.png

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
Are you sure about that? My understanding is that any device that radiates any kind of signal (Wifi, bluetooth, 3G, whatever) needs FCC approval. My iPod Touch lists an FCC ID number on the back of it just like my iPhone does. I could be wrong though.

Hmm. I could be wrong too :)

I thought we'd been told that the delayed shipping time for the 3G version was to allow time for the FCC review.

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
i noticed the same. This is the kind of app apple should ban (useless).

How would this app on the app store have any effect at all on your life? Zero...

Ya lets ban everything that you personally don't' find useful! Love the narrow minds that come to MR. Amazing.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Hmm. I could be wrong too :)

I thought we'd been told that the delayed shipping time for the 3G version was to allow time for the FCC review.

I would imagine one of two scenarios.

1. Reviews don't happen at the same time regardless of when the device is submitted and/or the 3G took longer to submit to the FCC so there's a longer waiting period.

2. Apple is hoping to get more carriers on board before launching the 3G version.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Who cares how they demoed it?

Do you think it is not going to be possible for them to make the application?

adammull

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2009

fingerchop.png

You know how else you can tell? His Safari isn't as snappy. I can't see his Safari, but I can just tell.

ARF900

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2009

Actually it's not that there's a lag...the sliding actually appears to occur before the finger swipe. Plus if you stop it on certain frames you can see where bits of the guys fingers have been chopped by the green screen/compositing process.

Didn't you watch the grammys? How did Colbert get one then?

njchris

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2007
Huntington Beach, Ca USA

fingerchop.png

Maybe he lost part of his finger in an accident while cutting his favorite bagel. Now you have made him feel bad, when all he obviously wants to do is make a fun app. Now he is going to be self concious about his finger in the video. So mean!

RMXO

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2009
I'm so going to get this so I can mess around with my 2 yr old nephew. Gonna try to scare the bejezuz out of him. hahaha. I know I'm mean but this is payback for all the times I had to change his stinky diapers. I'm roommates with him & his parents.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
I'm so going to get this so I can mess around with my 2 yr old nephew. Gonna try to scare the bejezuz out of him. hahaha. I know I'm mean but this is payback for all the times & had to change his stinky diapers. I'm roommates with him & his parents.

Is it your brother and his wife or your sister and her husband.

That is important.

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
Didn't you watch the grammys? How did Colbert get one then?

He said that someone handed it to him before he went on stage and then immediately grabbed it back from him when he got off.

Like I said, I don't know the rules regarding FCC approval..maybe it's OK for Apple to send out prototypes as long as they aren't for sale.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.