Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Aug 25, 2004, 08:31 PM   #1
stacy-lacy
macrumors newbie

USB hard drive freezes up PowerMac w/ G3/Sonnet upgrade card

I have a PowerMac 7500/100 upgraded with a 400mhz g3 card from sonnet. I also purchased a PCI USB card and a PCI Firewire card. The firewire card works find with my IPOD. USB card works fine with a USB keyboard, mouse, and a Zip drive.

However, whenever I try to use a USB external hard drive, I have problems with the system freezing when trying to copy files to the drive. I seem to be able to read files fine, but if I try copying over a few hundred files, it will eventually give me the spinning wheel, the hard drive light stays on, and the system freezes.

I also tried an external firewire drive and had the same problem. Both cards had mac compatible logos on the box.

Any ideas?

I have tried going back to the ADB keyboard and mouse and unplugging all other devices to make sure there were no conflicts. Same result.

Any help appreciated.
stacy-lacy is offline   0
Old Aug 26, 2004, 09:27 AM   #2
gopher
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to gopher Send a message via Yahoo to gopher
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacy-lacy
I have a PowerMac 7500/100 upgraded with a 400mhz g3 card from sonnet. I also purchased a PCI USB card and a PCI Firewire card. The firewire card works find with my IPOD. USB card works fine with a USB keyboard, mouse, and a Zip drive.

However, whenever I try to use a USB external hard drive, I have problems with the system freezing when trying to copy files to the drive. I seem to be able to read files fine, but if I try copying over a few hundred files, it will eventually give me the spinning wheel, the hard drive light stays on, and the system freezes.

I also tried an external firewire drive and had the same problem. Both cards had mac compatible logos on the box.

Any ideas?

I have tried going back to the ADB keyboard and mouse and unplugging all other devices to make sure there were no conflicts. Same result.

Any help appreciated.
It would help if we knew what operating system version you have and how much free hard disk space, and if these issues are happening before the computer goes to sleep, or only after. There are known issues with Energy Saver and third party USB devices.
Old Aug 26, 2004, 12:24 PM   #3
seamuskrat
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to seamuskrat Send a message via Yahoo to seamuskrat
With a machine of that age, and the assortment of cards and potential driver issues, it could be a number of things.
Are you using OSX or OS 9? I presume OS 9 based on the age of the machine.

If so, make sure you have the latest drivers for each of the PCI cards. If you can post back with brands and specs, like OS, RAM, hard drive space we can trouble shoot further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacy-lacy

Any ideas?

Any help appreciated.
seamuskrat is offline   0
Old Aug 26, 2004, 09:09 PM   #4
stacy-lacy
macrumors newbie

More details

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher
It would help if we knew what operating system version you have and how much free hard disk space, and if these issues are happening before the computer goes to sleep, or only after. There are known issues with Energy Saver and third party USB devices.

OS 10.2.8
10 GB Seagate internal scsi drive with 1 GB free
400MB RAM

Issues occur while copying files from internal drive to external drive. Stops after copying about 25-30 mb.

OSX works fine on this old mac.
stacy-lacy is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers