Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Feb 7, 2010, 11:49 AM   #1
msw123307
macrumors 6502

Computer Sleep vs. Put the Hard Disk to Sleep when Possible

Trying to find the difference between these options, and how they work together. I know that the "Put the Hard Disk to Sleep When Possible" option sets the disks to spin down after 10 mins of use.

However, if I enable "Computer Sleep" and set it to 30 mins, while leaving the "Put the Hard Disks to Sleep" option unchecked, will the "Computer Sleep" function still spin the disks down?

According to Apple, the sleep mode...

What happens when the Mac goes to sleep (not just into idle mode or display sleep)?

On all Macs:

The microprocessor goes into a low-power mode
Video output is turned off, and a connected display may turn off as well, or enter its own idle state
Apple-supplied hard disks spin down; third-party hard disks may spin down

But if that option is left unchecked, will the disks spin down, or no? I'm guessing they still will, but it's kind of confusing since that option is available.
msw123307 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2010, 11:52 AM   #2
flopticalcube
macrumors G4

I think it depends on the drive. Mine all spin down when the computer sleeps even though the USB or FW ports may still be receiving power. The only exception is an old PATA drive I have.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 03:32 PM   #3
BlueRevolution
macrumors 601

Yes, they will spin down. When the computer sleeps, it basically cuts power to everything that isn't required to ensure that it starts up again in the same state as you left it. Basically, that just means trickling power to the RAM, since when the memory is disconnected from power the data is lost.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help