Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Aug 25, 2004, 09:25 PM   #1
ocellnuri
macrumors regular

Powerbook Sleep Light - Dim/Bright (Not Pulse)

I've got a new 12" Powerbook.

When I put it to sleep the latch button pulses (or breathes) like it's supposed to. However, yesterday I noticed that it seems to breathe at two different intensities. There's a dim breathing and a bright breathing. I've sat and watched it switch between the two. I hope I'm explaining it well... Basically it's like it pulses at half the brightness it usually does.. then it will arbitrarily switch to full brightness pulsing.

Does this mean anything? I was thinking maybe it was detecting a WiFi network or something, but I know that's extremely wishfull thinking.

Thanks in advance.
ocellnuri is offline   0
Old Aug 25, 2004, 09:27 PM   #2
LeeTom
macrumors 65816

Well, when it's sleeping, it's definitely not detecting any WiFi networks.
I have noticed "inconsistent" light breathing on a couple Macs before as well, and I think it's normal.

Lee Tom
LeeTom is offline   0
Old Aug 25, 2004, 09:31 PM   #3
stoid
macrumors 68040

And here I thought that only humans could get sleep apnea. It seems like maybe some of the circuitry controlling the brightness is a little shaky. I wouldn't worry about it too much as long as it's running in sleep mode. If you are still under warranty, and can do without it, you could call Apple and see what they say/if they'll fix it for you.
stoid is offline   0
Old Aug 25, 2004, 10:21 PM   #4
yippy
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to yippy
Mine has two brightnesses also but mine have a very direct correlation with the possition of the lid. It pulses dimly when the lid is open and brightly when the powerbook is closed.
yippy is offline   0
Old Aug 25, 2004, 10:40 PM   #5
Scottyk9
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by yippy
Mine has two brightnesses also but mine have a very direct correlation with the possition of the lid. It pulses dimly when the lid is open and brightly when the powerbook is closed.
Yes, my 15" AlPB does exactly the same thing. Who else but Apple would add a subtle touch like that?
Scottyk9 is offline   0
Old Aug 25, 2004, 11:31 PM   #6
dotnina
macrumors 6502a

My 15" PB does that as well.

I guess it's to distinguish a napping PB and a sleeping PB?
dotnina is offline   0
Old Aug 25, 2004, 11:38 PM   #7
Koodauw
macrumors 68040

I have never noticed this before, but I will check it out now.

I remember one of the system updates made it not as bright... or maybe it just made it vary between bright/notso bright.

So it might be software controlled.

Also, is this on all PB's?

I have a 12''
Koodauw is offline   0
Old Aug 26, 2004, 09:28 AM   #8
OldManJimbo
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to OldManJimbo Send a message via Yahoo to OldManJimbo Send a message via Skype™ to OldManJimbo
I always give my little 12" a bottle of warm milk before putting it to sleep for the night and the pulsing light seems to breathe better when I do - HAH
Old Aug 26, 2004, 09:33 AM   #9
JeDiBoYTJ
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to JeDiBoYTJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldManJimbo
I always give my little 12" a bottle of warm milk before putting it to sleep for the night and the pulsing light seems to breathe better when I do - HAH
a lullaby also helps calm the PB down into a nice deep sleep, its also good to try and burp it before it falls asleep
JeDiBoYTJ is offline   0
Old Aug 26, 2004, 01:47 PM   #10
ocellnuri
macrumors regular

I played with lid position last night, and I couldn't get the brightness of the pulse to respond in any way...

As a relative Mac "newbie" I expected this to be answered in a few moments. I had no clue I could produce such a stumper!

Thanks for all the responses thus far!
ocellnuri is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers