Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kathmanduGuy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2010
Hi,

I have a 17inch intel iMac, early 2006 (the first release). A couple of days ago it decided it no longer wanted to boot up. Inserting the install DVD and running disk utilities verify/repair, it said that the volume had an invalid b-tree node size, and attempting to repair the volume failed.

Everything is backed up from this computer, so at this point in time I am only worried about getting it running again. So, I dug deeper to resolve the issue.

And the plot thickens...
I connected this computer to my newer computer in target disk mode via FireWire, and proceeded to run both Tech Tool Pro and Diskwarrior on the drive. Tech Tool Pro indicates that the hardware is fine, a surface scan yielded no bad sectors, and a volume check confirmed the b-tree node errors with the volume. I attempted to rebuild the directory with diskwarrior, but I got the error:
'DiskWarrior successfully built a new directory for the disk named "Macintosh HD". The new directory cannot replace the original directory because the original directory was too severely damaged.'

An attempt to rebuild was equally unsuccessful from Tech Tool Pro, and trying the same task from the bootable DVD's yielded the same issues.

So, I decided to reformat and reinstall. I did a 7-pass zero Erase of the disk in the hope of the filesystem detecting any bad sectors, but after reformatting the same b-tree node size error and all associated issues in fixing it remain. Of course, I can't install Mac OS X either because it fails validation on install.

I also attempted to run apple's hardware test (starting up with D held), but it never gets past the probing stage.

At the moment, I have tried everything I can think of. I would dearly love to get this computer running again, so any ideas/help would be greatly appreciated.

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
Sounds like your hard drive has died. Failing a hardware test is a pretty sure indicator of a hardware problem, but passing a hardware test doesn't necessarily mean nothing's the matter.

If you're feeling ambitious, I'd say now's the time for a hard drive upgrade.

kathmanduGuy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2010
Is there anyway to confirm the hard drive is failed before I endeavour upon replacing it?

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
It has passed all of the tests I would have suggested, but like I said, just because it passes doesn't mean it's in good working order. The fact that a reinstall didn't fix it is a pretty sure sign to me that you're looking at a hardware problem, and what you describe sounds symptomatic of a hard drive failure.

kathmanduGuy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2010
Thanks for your help. I installed a new hard drive following the guide with no issues, and it is working fine now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.