Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
LINK

Super Bowl most watched of all time

by Jennifer Armstrong

As expected, last night’s Saints-Colts match-up now ranks as the most watched Super Bowl of all time with a whopping 106.5 million viewers, according to Nielsen Media. The Saints’ underdog victory also beat the 1983 M*A*S*H series finale as the most watched television program of all time as measured by households, garnering 51.7 million in comparison to M*A*S*H’s 50.2 million. The total viewership, which includes same-day DVR playback, tops last year’s Arizona-Pittsburgh game by 7.8 million viewers.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Wow. Took a long time to break M*A*S*H's record. Goes to show you how impressive that number was.

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
Wow. Took a long time to break M*A*S*H's record. Goes to show you how impressive that number was.

Yeah, I always thought it was funny as the years went by that no previous Super Bowl broke the record. I think M*A*S*H will hold the record for a scripted TV show for a very, very long time; as more and more cable channels, the internet and DVRs break up viewing habits, the only thing that can really draw these kinds of numbers any longer is a live event, especially sports.

Wasn't the Champions League Final watched by 109 mil.... ?

edit : link

I don't know if it's a US only thing, though none of the articles I've found refer to it as being just US figures. It could mean they're referring to households and not total viewers.

fotografica

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Boston
The New Orleans Saints' 31-17 victory over the Indianapolis Colts in Super Bowl XLIV was watched by an average of more than 106 million people, surpassing the 1983 finale of "M-A-S-H" to become the most-watched program in U.S. television history, the Nielsen Co. said on Monday.
Nielsen estimated Monday that 106.5 million people watched the Super Bowl on average and 151.6 million tuned in overall. The "M-A-S-H" record was an average of 105.97 million.

http://www.nfl.com/superbowl/story?...emplate=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
According to Wikipedia, 2.5 billion people watched Princess Diana's funeral. That's the record for global viewers.

This year's Super Bowl is apparently the most people who watched a single network broadcast in the world. Things like the funeral, World Cup matches and other global sporting events are broken up among different broadcasters, sometimes airing on more than one network at a time.

That's one reason why the rate is so high for advertisers with the Super Bowl. You have 100+ million people watching your commercial. While 1 billion people tuned into the recent Michael Jackson funeral, the viewership was so fragmented that even the highest rated broadcast had only a fraction of people watching...

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I always wonder how accurate these numbers are. Given that the there are so few Nielsen households. Further that the types of shows that people watch whom are willing to have there viewing habits recorded may be quite different from those whom would be opposed to such a situation.

Though I would think that the digital boxes from the cable and satellite companies record and send back viewer data to those companies for a near complete analysis of TV viewership. Unless there are laws against that.

fotografica

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Boston
Tivo collects info:

Doritos' ad featuring a tough-as-nails kid slapping some sense into his mother's date stole the show as the most-watched Super Bowl ad, according to data collected by the TiVo "Stop Watch" service.
TiVo routinely collects anonymous data on its users and their viewership patterns, about 300,000 of its viewers at a time, Juenger said. For the purposes of the Super Bowl, and the instant feedback a day later, TiVo sampled a smaller set, or about 30,000 random customers, he said in an interview.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/zd/20100208/tc_zd/248204

iowamensan

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2006
According to Wikipedia, 2.5 billion people watched Princess Diana's funeral. That's the record for global viewers.

This year's Super Bowl is apparently the most people who watched a single network broadcast in the world. Things like the funeral, World Cup matches and other global sporting events are broken up among different broadcasters, sometimes airing on more than one network at a time.

That's one reason why the rate is so high for advertisers with the Super Bowl. You have 100+ million people watching your commercial. While 1 billion people tuned into the recent Michael Jackson funeral, the viewership was so fragmented that even the highest rated broadcast had only a fraction of people watching...

A billion people watched that freak's funeral? Holy crap... who are these people? I've lost all faith in mankind. I wonder if OJ's funeral will get a billion viewers.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..

I find that hard to believe. Global population was 5.8 billion in 1997

http://www.google.com/publicdata?ds=wb-wdi&met=sp_pop_totl&tdim=true&dl=en&hl=en&q=global+population

meaning that 43% of all people in the world watched her funeral. Including these billions in India and Africa and the poorer Asian countries with no TV, and all these billions in China / South America who have simply no interest in Diana?

Original source is dodgy too. Just a throwaway comment in a BBC story about 'what happened on this day in the past'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/september/6/newsid_2502000/2502307.stm

Other websites also quote this figure with no explanation of where it came from. Interestingly, one site says UK viewing figures were 25 million, i.e. half of the population of the UK.

If only 50% of the UK bothered to watch the funeral of their own princess, then i doubt that as much as 43% of the rest of the world would also make the effort.

nutritious

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2008
Thankfully, my household was not in either of those counts. If feels weird, though, being in the majority of something.

Why is that? Do you feel like you're somehow superior for not watching the super bowl?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.