Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Feb 8, 2010, 06:23 PM   #1
digitalpencil
macrumors 6502

Announce Caller Name

Hey guys,

Just bought a 3GS and very pleased with it but is there no way to get it to announce the caller id?

I'd imagine this is a commonly requested function but when i've got my phones in, i like the fact that it mutes my music and allows me to engage the call but there's no way of knowing who's calling without assigning custom ringtones.. I'd really like it to announce the caller id, is there not an app for this?

PS: i'm aware of the garageband trick but i'd rather this only work when the headphones are connected.
Old Feb 8, 2010, 06:49 PM   #2
Vandam500
macrumors 68000

There is no way around it. The only way is what you said via custom ringtones.
Vandam500 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2010, 07:53 PM   #3
lfine39
macrumors member

Just bought Jawbone Icon bluetooth headset and it announces called ID when in use. Doesn't do me any good since smart phones are in play I do not remember numbers anymore.
lfine39 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2010, 04:44 PM   #4
digitalpencil
macrumors 6502

Cheers vandam, that kind of blows though. Hopefully they'll integrate this functionality in os 4.0 as it's a really crappy workaround and i'd much rather it only announced when the headphones are plugged in.

ah well, cheers for the confirmation at any rate.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 05:52 PM   #5
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

I would hate this feature. Your phone rings and it announces "John is
calling" or something
Now every time your phone rings everyone knows who your talking to.
I doubt it's anywhere near apples future update plans. Even with just headphones on, pull out your phone and take a look at the screen or make custom ringtones with peoples names if you wanna go that far.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2010, 11:22 PM   #6
MacToddB
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalpencil View Post
Hey guys,

Just bought a 3GS and very pleased with it but is there no way to get it to announce the caller id?

I'd imagine this is a commonly requested function but when i've got my phones in, i like the fact that it mutes my music and allows me to engage the call but there's no way of knowing who's calling without assigning custom ringtones.. I'd really like it to announce the caller id, is there not an app for this?
...there's an app for that. Well, at least as much as Apple will allow. AutoRingtone is designed to let you create custom TEXT-TO-SPEECH ringtones, in 20+ voices, with 100+ introductory sound FX. You still have to create and assign the tones, but you can be creative ("Your lovely wife, Sondra, is calling", etc.) instead of just reading the names. As noted, Apple "owns" the phone function, so no app can replace its functionality. But this is the next best thing.

FYI, I developed it because my Nokia (3 years ago!) had TTS Caller ID and I missed it! We offer free versions as well. Just search for autoringtone or ringtones uncensored (the auto app is ideal for caller ID and the uncensored one lets you type "freeform" messages).
MacToddB is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting