Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Aug 26, 2004, 02:17 PM   #1
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4

1 more reason to use a Mac

Windows can be downright flaky when it comes to handling USB devices. For example:

1. Windows brings up a "New Hardware Wizard" the first time anything is inserted into any port on a hub attached to a Windows computer, even if two or more of the devices connected are identical and thus use the same driver(s).
2. Windows (falsely) tells you that you need to restart your computer for some USB devices to work when in fact you don't.
3. Ejecting a device would be far more intuitive if it was done by right-clicking the device and choosing Eject instead of using the Safely Remove Hardware dialog.
4. When removing a USB device, if you jiggle it a little instead of pulling it straight out, Windows (falsely) tells you that a device was removed in an unsafe manner.
Old Aug 26, 2004, 02:36 PM   #2
FightTheFuture
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to FightTheFuture
i don't think thats really a great reason for using a mac, but it definitely is a flaw in windows. my old 6gig USB drive will mount on os x, then when i don't need it anymore, i'll just eject it and its done. on my pc, sometimes when i read or write to the drive, it won't let me 'safely remove the hardware' even when i'm finished quitting out all applications. then i wait ten minutes, no good. another 10 minutes. no good. eventually i just leave it plugged in and put it to standby mode, or log off and i'm happy with that. if its something like a scanner though - i'll just hot patch it.
Old Aug 26, 2004, 02:40 PM   #3
friarbayliff
macrumors regular

I've noticed that with windows machines. However, I don'y notice the whole problem with the device being designated as 'disconnected incorrectly' when the cord is removed. Even jiggling it a little doesn't confuse it. I generally just ingore whatever crap windows feeds me about my usb devices.
Old Aug 26, 2004, 03:18 PM   #4
jacobj
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrldwzrd89
Windows can be downright flaky when it comes to handling USB devices. For example:

1. Windows brings up a "New Hardware Wizard" the first time anything is inserted into any port on a hub attached to a Windows computer, even if two or more of the devices connected are identical and thus use the same driver(s).
2. Windows (falsely) tells you that you need to restart your computer for some USB devices to work when in fact you don't.
3. Ejecting a device would be far more intuitive if it was done by right-clicking the device and choosing Eject instead of using the Safely Remove Hardware dialog.
4. When removing a USB device, if you jiggle it a little instead of pulling it straight out, Windows (falsely) tells you that a device was removed in an unsafe manner.
OSX isn't perfect. My external hard drive occassionally has issues when I try to eject it.
Old Aug 26, 2004, 03:20 PM   #5
Nspace
macrumors regular

Send a message via MSN to Nspace
For mice, keyboards, cameras, card readers, tablets, alot of mp3 players, ipod (after the software was installed), I can all plug in and simply un-plug without a problem and without being pestured by annoying messages. You also don't run into problems if you do not properly eject with maybe the exception of external hard drives.

I don't think this is a good reason to use a mac, considering i have had osx lock up in many circumstances at school where i have simply unplugged a card reader without dragging it to eject it.
Nspace is offline   0
Old Aug 26, 2004, 04:33 PM   #6
Rabidjade
macrumors member

If you hate XP, then come out and say it, don't dig for it. Only problems I had are with external hard drives and even then it might be something else than Xp. The drive partition would unmount itself if removed without the wizards but the information could still be saved. This was once or twice out of about 30+ times dealing with external hard drives. Why XP brings up the "new hardware wizard" is XP keeps all devices seperate to keep organization easier when you removed and adding numerous devices of the same model. Having the same model of hardware but a seperate revision could throw you off too if you wanted to group devices under the same driver. I could go on but I feel this touches the bases.
Old Aug 26, 2004, 04:36 PM   #7
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabidjade
If you hate XP, then come out and say it, don't dig for it. Only problems I had are with external hard drives and even then it might be something else than Xp. The drive partition would unmount itself if removed without the wizards but the information could still be saved. This was once or twice out of about 30+ times dealing with external hard drives. Why XP brings up the "new hardware wizard" is XP keeps all devices seperate to keep organization easier when you removed and adding numerous devices of the same model. Having the same model of hardware but a seperate revision could throw you off too if you wanted to group devices under the same driver. I could go on but I feel this touches the bases.
Truth be told - it's not XP that gives me these problems. It's Windows 2000, which I use at work, that does this to me.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers