Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Product Recommendations/Reviews

Old Aug 26, 2004, 05:01 PM   #1
picasso_41
macrumors newbie

recommend cad software and printer

I'm a retired AutoCAD user and would like to buy a CAD program for my G4 Powerbook. I'm thinking that Vectorworks would be a good choice because it is powerful and reasonably priced. But I don't know how it compares with the other stuff available. I would like something that works like AutoCAD, with a command line interface, but that's not likely.

Also, I'm interested in a tabloid sized inkjet printer. Any advice there? The Canon i9900 looks like it would do the job for both cad and photos.

Thanks.
Dave
picasso_41 is offline   0
Old Aug 26, 2004, 08:33 PM   #2
mr_mac
macrumors member

Send a message via ICQ to mr_mac Send a message via AIM to mr_mac Send a message via MSN to mr_mac
I love vectorworks.

Way beyond what autocad can do.

For a printer, check HP's deskjet large format. I own a 1220C/PS and i love it! It's replaced by a new model, but i highly recommend it.

Hope this helps,

Mrmac
iPod 15Gb, iPod Shuffle 512MB
*NEW* MacBook Pro 1.83GHz, 1GB RAM
mr_mac is offline   0
Old Aug 26, 2004, 11:27 PM   #3
mkubal
macrumors 6502a

I use PowerCADD 6 at work. I think it works pretty well, but to tell you the truth It's the only CADD program I've ever used for OS X and I only to two dimensional stuff. So I really have no frame of reference.

As for a printer, the only oversized printer I use is an HP (I can't remember the model #) and I wouldn't reccomend it because it's always having problems finishing printing what it starts.

Matt
mkubal is offline   0
Old Aug 27, 2004, 01:18 AM   #4
Macky-Mac
macrumors 68020

I'm currently using VectorWorks. Several years ago I did some work for a company that used PowerCADD. Both programs are pretty good. PowerCADD only does 2D as far as I remember.

For the last 4 years I've been using an Epson 1270 for 11 x 17 printing....the current version is the 1280.......it's been a good printer for me

you might also check out www.architosh.com for info about Mac based CAD.
Macky-Mac is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Product Recommendations/Reviews