Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Aug 26, 2004, 09:10 PM   #1
CubaTBird
macrumors 68020

Question iPod Hard Disk Scan

Should I worry about doing this if my ipod is working fine? As I use my ipod, does the ipod itself check the hard drive from time to time too see if there are errors?
CubaTBird is offline   0
Old Aug 26, 2004, 09:16 PM   #2
JeDiBoYTJ
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to JeDiBoYTJ
you can tell it to run a "HDD Scan". but its only recommended if your worried that your HD isnt working properly. if it seems to be fine, then dont worry about it.

to check(all based on 3G iPod), simply hold the MENU and PLAY/PAUSE buttons to reset it. then when the apple logo comes up, press the PREVIOUS NEXT and SELECT buttons to activate diagnositc mode. from there you use the Previous and Next buttons to scroll down to "HDD SCAN".
JeDiBoYTJ is offline   0
Old Aug 26, 2004, 10:37 PM   #3
Xapplimatic
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Xapplimatic
Easy fix...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubaTBird
Should I worry about doing this if my ipod is working fine? As I use my ipod, does the ipod itself check the hard drive from time to time too see if there are errors?
Just plug it into a Mac via FireWire and it will automatically mount as a drive on the desk top (provided that setting is enabled in iTunes).. Then use Disk Utility or better utility on it as you would any internal drive on the Mac... Simple eh?

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers