Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004
Should I worry about doing this if my ipod is working fine? As I use my ipod, does the ipod itself check the hard drive from time to time too see if there are errors? :confused:

JeDiBoYTJ

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2004
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
you can tell it to run a "HDD Scan". but its only recommended if your worried that your HD isnt working properly. if it seems to be fine, then dont worry about it.

to check(all based on 3G iPod), simply hold the MENU and PLAY/PAUSE buttons to reset it. then when the apple logo comes up, press the PREVIOUS NEXT and SELECT buttons to activate diagnositc mode. from there you use the Previous and Next buttons to scroll down to "HDD SCAN".

Xapplimatic

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2001
California
Easy fix...

CubaTBird said:
Should I worry about doing this if my ipod is working fine? As I use my ipod, does the ipod itself check the hard drive from time to time too see if there are errors? :confused:

Just plug it into a Mac via FireWire and it will automatically mount as a drive on the desk top (provided that setting is enabled in iTunes).. Then use Disk Utility or better utility on it as you would any internal drive on the Mac... Simple eh?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.