Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heidy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2010
I've had my Mac for 3 years and never had a problem with Airport Express. If I did, I would usually turn it off and then on again and it solved the problem. The last two weeks I've been using a wi-fi hotspot near my home until I get a proper internet connection at home. Suddenly, my internet stopped working. The airport recognzies the link and still connects but the internet page says i'm not connected to the internet. I've tried using diagnostics and it says it can't fix my problem. In diagnostics, the first 3-4 lights turn on, but the last two are either yellow or red. I've changed the time to make sure it was correct, I've re-started the computer several times and it still doesn't work. I don't know what it is that is not working. The airport recognizes the signal, yet I get no internet connection. And I haven't downloaded anything recently. Please help!

Denarius

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2008
Gironde, France
I've had my Mac for 3 years and never had a problem with Airport Express. If I did, I would usually turn it off and then on again and it solved the problem. The last two weeks I've been using a wi-fi hotspot near my home until I get a proper internet connection at home. Suddenly, my internet stopped working. The airport recognzies the link and still connects but the internet page says i'm not connected to the internet. I've tried using diagnostics and it says it can't fix my problem. In diagnostics, the first 3-4 lights turn on, but the last two are either yellow or red. I've changed the time to make sure it was correct, I've re-started the computer several times and it still doesn't work. I don't know what it is that is not working. The airport recognizes the signal, yet I get no internet connection. And I haven't downloaded anything recently. Please help!
Have you tried setting a manual DNS in your airport settings? 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 are pretty reliable.

If it's 4 lights, the above should work. If it's 3 lights then it won't as there's no gateway up behind the access point.

heidy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2010
It's 3 lights -- the last two remain red or orange. I don't know why it's not connecting and it's very frustrating. I've spent hours trying to fix it.

Wondersnite

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2010
I've got the same problem... The only way I can connect to the internet is through the ethernet port, which is kind of ridiculous. Does anyone have a solution?

Wondersnite

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2010
Ok, I think I got it working. I tried adding a new location in the network group in System Preferences (it's at the top). A new one named "untitled" worked fine, I guess it reset some stuff. Hope this works for the rest of you.

Bazza90036

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2013
It might just be your Password!!

Was having similar problems to the above thread. Wifi Network was showing it was connected but I could not connect to Internet. Airport Extreme was flashing AMBER.

Modem signal was fine.
Network Prefs showed:

Airport: Green
Airport Settings: Green
Network Settings: Green
ISP: Green
Internet: RED
Server: Red

After checking with ISP and connecting to the internet via Ethernet my ISP told me that there was something wrong with my wireless router (the Airport Extreme).

I ran Airport Utility and and it came back reporting problems.

(IMPORTANT: A few days earlier I had re-set my email password.)

As soon as I updated my "new" password in the Airport Utility...the airport restarted and I was good to go.

It was as simple as entering my new password!!

Hope that helps!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.