Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Feb 10, 2010, 12:22 PM   #1
MT0227
macrumors 6502

Excel Only Using One Core???

Hi there,

My work machine is a Windows machine, 3GHz C2D with 3 gigs of ram, using Excel 08. I have some very calculation intensive spreadsheets and figured using my 27" 4gig i5 would hopefully add some performance into the mix (outside of screen real estate).

I've noticed when Excel is in heavy calc mode only one core on my iMac is being used at 100%, the others are flat line. After some time the cores start to rotate in and out, but never do I see two cores or more max out at 100%. As cpu usage is decreased on one it gets picked up on another; so the total combined appears to be one core at 100% usage.

It appears that my windows machine is actually performing the same calc faster than my iMac. Anyone have some color on this? I would have expected to see all four cores being used.

Thanks,

Marc
MT0227 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2010, 12:35 PM   #2
avihappy
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT0227 View Post
Hi there,

My work machine is a Windows machine, 3GHz C2D with 3 gigs of ram, using Excel 08. I have some very calculation intensive spreadsheets and figured using my 27" 4gig i5 would hopefully add some performance into the mix (outside of screen real estate).

I've noticed when Excel is in heavy calc mode only one core on my iMac is being used at 100%, the others are flat line. After some time the cores start to rotate in and out, but never do I see two cores or more max out at 100%. As cpu usage is decreased on one it gets picked up on another; so the total combined appears to be one core at 100% usage.

It appears that my windows machine is actually performing the same calc faster than my iMac. Anyone have some color on this? I would have expected to see all four cores being used.

Thanks,

Marc
Maybe you could try downloading the free OpenOffice Mac or iWork Trial and see if the calc is able to use all the cores? Office Mac is a pretty *****, so I'm not surprised that excel fails to use all the cores.

EDIT: Okay, so it turns out that Openoffice is also single threaded. I guess your only hope is iWork's Numbers (best if you aren't using particularly advanced features of excel) or running Windows Office in something like Crossover Mac (my preferred emulation option) or VMware.

Last edited by avihappy; Feb 10, 2010 at 12:42 PM.
avihappy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac