Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Aug 27, 2004, 12:39 AM   #1
nickyj182
macrumors regular

Send a message via Yahoo to nickyj182
Unhappy eMac Display Problem, HELP ASAP!

Alright, heres the situation. I use an eMac G4 1GhZ and last night I hit my usual hot corner to start up the screen saver and I went to bed. The next day I left early and when I came home my power had went out, but was back on. My eMac's power light was on, but I moved my mouse and nothing happened, the screen was black. I restarted the machine and same thing, it makes the starting sound, you can even hear the cd drive spinning if you try to boot off disc but the screen is solid black, any ideas please help! I've tried the hold command+option+p+r at start to no avail, I need her back up ASAP, help guys!
nickyj182 is offline   0
Old Aug 27, 2004, 01:41 AM   #2
yoda13
macrumors 65816

I am not sure if this will help, but someone needs to try to help you. I have read a lot of threads like this, and people who experience problems with their PowerMacs often have to reset the PMU, and it clears up the problem. Having said that, I have no idea how to do it on that model or if it is even possible. You might do a search for that here and see if something useful comes up. Having said that, several years ago, my house was hit by lightening and after the fact, my monitor behaved in exactly the same way as yours is and while it was fixable, it was cheaper to just upgrade to one of the new (at the time) Tangerine iMacs. So it may have to go to the shop to get it fixed. That is really my only two ideas. I am sorry that I couldn't be of more help.
Old Aug 27, 2004, 03:08 AM   #3
tdhurst
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to tdhurst Send a message via Yahoo to tdhurst Send a message via Skype™ to tdhurst
Sad...

Power surge...probably fried logic board...always, always use a surge protector...
tdhurst is offline   0
Old Aug 27, 2004, 09:36 AM   #4
vga4life
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyj182
Alright, heres the situation. I use an eMac G4 1GhZ and last night I hit my usual hot corner to start up the screen saver and I went to bed. The next day I left early and when I came home my power had went out, but was back on. My eMac's power light was on, but I moved my mouse and nothing happened, the screen was black. I restarted the machine and same thing, it makes the starting sound, you can even hear the cd drive spinning if you try to boot off disc but the screen is solid black, any ideas please help! I've tried the hold command+option+p+r at start to no avail, I need her back up ASAP, help guys!
Got applecare? (Or still under warranty?) Take it back.

If not, consider leaving it "on" for a few hours and see if an image gradually appears on the CRT.

My emac's CRT had to be replaced a few weeks after I got it.

If it's out of warranty, consider buying a refurb 1.25ghz emac from apple for $699 - you could easily spend $500 replacing the crt in your current emac.

-vga4life
vga4life is offline   0
Old Aug 27, 2004, 01:25 PM   #5
nickyj182
macrumors regular

Send a message via Yahoo to nickyj182
I have Applecare, will that cover it completely?
nickyj182 is offline   0
Old Aug 27, 2004, 01:30 PM   #6
applemacdude
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to applemacdude Send a message via AIM to applemacdude Send a message via MSN to applemacdude Send a message via Yahoo to applemacdude Send a message via Skype™ to applemacdude
Lie to them. Tell them you put it to sleep and it went out on you. I dont think Apple covers this sort of thing.....
applemacdude is offline   0
Old Aug 27, 2004, 10:05 PM   #7
vga4life
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyj182
I have Applecare, will that cover it completely?
Yes. Call them ASAP. Don't mention the power failure at your house, just tell them the symptoms and do what they say.

-vga4life
vga4life is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers