Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

TechCrunch reports that popular video site Hulu is working to bring its content to the iPad, despite the lack of support for Flash content on Apple's new tablet device.
One rumor I've heard from an industry insider is that Hulu is working on an iPad-friendly version of its site that should be ready by the time the iPad hits the market. Hulu itself is still vague about its plans. When asked directly by Om Malik whether Hulu has any plans for the iPad, CEO Jason Kilar recently hemmed and hawed about how he is a big believer in mobile, but wouldn't confirm or deny anything.
The report notes that porting its content to a non-Flash player would not be completely trivial given Hulu's investment in having created a unique Flash-based platform, but the company would be "more than capable" of making the transition. With Hulu's videos already encoded in the H.264 format used on the iPhone and iPad, whether or not to develop a Flash-less player for the content appears to be more of a business decision than a technical one.

Article Link: Hulu Developing Non-Flash Player for Deployment on iPad?

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Sweet. YouTube and Hulu will start the content migration away from Flash. It won't happen to the rest of the industry overnight, but other options will emerge! But, Hulu is also looking at paid memberships, like the NYT. Frankly, if the price was reasonable ($20/year) I'd be on board.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Awesome. I knew it would just be a matter of time. I wonder how they are going to DRM their videos? Apple’s not going to give them FairPlay.

Number 41

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
People can criticize Apple's decision not to support Flash -- but, the reality is that places like Hulu.com and other flash-based content providers are in a business. They don't have loyalty to Adobe or to the Flash format, they have loyalty to profit and bottom lines.

If they can increase profit by putting their content in an iPad / iPhone friendly format, they'll do it. With the current "win" streak Apple has been on with products, I think you'll find that a great many people don't want to be left on the outside looking in when it comes to having their content available on the iPad.

Jobs understands this, which is why his / Apple's decision not to support Flash is really a non-starter.

oclor

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2006
Boston
This is the biggest thing for the iPad (and iPhone) possible. The ability to watch TV wherever whenever is huge! This alone will convince many people to buy an iPad way more than if it had a camera or any of the other stuff people are complaining about (although that wouldn't hurt either)

Just imagine an iPad commercial with people watching TV on their iPad in the car or on the train...

zakfox1986

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
This would be amazing. But honestly. Hulu won't play nice with Boxee and other clientside tools trying to pipe its content to places other than the traditional web browser. I'm not convinced Hulu will do this anytime soon. Not until it jacks up the new subscription service.

ugp

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2008
Inverness, Florida
Hulu has to see that there is going to be a demand for Hulu on the iPad. And that the iPad itself is going to see in large demand.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I'm assuming that if this non-Flash version works on the iPad, it should also work on the iPhone/touch. That would be great news. I have not enjoyed not being able to watch hulu on my iPhone. That would be great at the gym on the treadmill....

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Good article except for last line.

Hulu needs the iPad a lot more than the iPad needs hulu.

libertyforall

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2006
How about Hulu detach from ALL Flash on ALL platforms and just do HTTP Streaming of H.264!?! Come on, I believe in you! -- Richard Simmons :D

splashman

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
But . . . but . . .

. . . but Adobe told us that the iPad would be useless without Flash! Could it be . . . could it possibly be that perhaps Adobe had an ulterior motive for saying that? No, no -- I couldn't be that cynical.

Seriously, though, it just goes to show you: success breeds success. Hulu, just like every other developer, smells money in the iPad, and they don't want to be left behind. Any video site that cares about income from mobile devices will have a non-Flash alternative up and running ASAP.

As a video player, Flash is soon to be ancient history. And good riddance.

From Win to Mac

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2001
Montreal, Canada
Sick!

That would be awesome.

Download the shows you want to see the night before (if you can/want to), or just stream it, and check them out whenever on an iPad using the Hulu app!

Insanely great!

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
This would be amazing. But honestly. Hulu won't play nice with Boxee and other clientside tools trying to pipebots content to places other than the traditional web browser. I'm not convinced Hulu will do this anytime soon. Not until it jacks up the new subscription service.

I'm inclined to agree. We need to remember that these decisions rest with the TV networks and they are generally not forward thinking. Apple surely have a lot more sway than Hulu developers and most other companies selling services and devices, so maybe they can get it on there.

koopa35

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
this is all good. i cant wait until its ready.

i would also like to know who voted negative on this story. this site should show who rated good or bad if that person also post in the thread.

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
if Hulu comes to the iPad I am sold, it is 80% of the flash I actually use... I dont care about flash in my browser, honestly keep it out... now if ESPN makes a custom tailored site for this thing to eliminate the other 20% of my flash needs Ill buy one at launch with my tax return cash...

mingoglia

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2009
Will be interesting to see how ATT and/or possible future providers of wireless for the iPad react to the ability of the iPad/touch/iphone to watch hulu. It's one thing watching youtube over these networks... it's completely different watching high quality hour long TV shows.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Definitely good news, although I can't help but wonder if the iPad would actually provide a superior Hulu viewing experience than a notebook. More versatile and portable, maybe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.