Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Feb 10, 2010, 04:56 PM   #1
permutated
macrumors member

OSX 10.5: Factory resetting WITHOUT an install CD?

So I've been wondering about this for a while, my CD drive is broken, and I really need to push my Macbook Pro to the Factory Settings.

I've done a bit of research on Google, on various OSX sites, and it seems like the only way to do it is with the OSX CD in the drive. Is there anyway to do it either without the CD in the drive or a way to boot from another computer using the other computers drive to write to my harddrive and reimage everything?

If so, what do I need to connect the computers and what is the process like?

Anyhow, thanks in advance.
permutated is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2010, 05:03 PM   #2
Archon Gold
macrumors 6502

Hello, If you have another mac, you could put your MacBook Pro into Target Disc Mode and connect it to the other mac via firewire and install that way.

Installing an OS without using the CD drive is very difficult and almost impossible if you don't have a secondary computer.

Your best bet IMO would be to go get it repaired, This is not worth the trouble that it is, I know this from experience, My MacBook's disc drive died and I was left with no operating system for a long while.

$100 to repair > The trouble this problem will cause.

What you could also do is make a new user account (make sure that it is an administrator), then delete your old one and your files along with it.
Archon Gold is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help