Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

We have received multiple reports today that Apple has released an Apple TV 3.0.2 software update, but we have yet to learn the details of changes included in the update. Readers have so far not reported any obvious changes, so the update may simply offer some under-the-hood enhancements such as compatibility with Aperture 3, which was released yesterday.

Users who wish to force updates of their Apple TVs should follow the instructions outlined in Apple's support document on the topic.

Apple TV 3.0 was launched last October and was quickly followed with a 3.0.1 update to address an issue with disappearing content.

Article Link: Apple Releases Apple TV 3.0.2 Update

dgalvan123

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
The moment they upgrade the hardware for Apple TV, I will buy one. It's been almost 3 years now and they still have the same old hardware.

I just bought a camcorder that records 1080p, and with a baby on the way I expect to have lots of home video in high-def that I'd like to be able to easily watch on my home tv. The ability to output 1080p video would be great.

iDisk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2010
Menlo Park, CA
It's about time!!! I've been waiting for this update for a few months now!! :apple:TV can't get any better then this!!!

Just kidding folks :cool:.

Nilonym

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2007
Seattle, WA
I want to see an actual Apple TV… with AppleTV built-in.

I see this sentiment expressed regularly, and I have to admit I don't really understand why this would be a good idea. Doesn't it make sense to keep the content source and the content display separate so they can be updated independently as technologies improve? I certainly wouldn't want to have to replace my existing 1080p LCD just to get the latest Apple TV hardware.

It also seems that LCD prices continue to fall due to fierce competitive pressures, which is great for us. Could Apple produce a 55" LCD that would be cost competitive with Samsung?

I just don't see the value of an all-in-one unit outside of saving the HDMI connection. I admit that I may be the victim of narrow vision here, so I'd love to hear other opinions on this.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
I see this sentiment expressed regularly, and I have to admit I don't really understand why this would be a good idea. Doesn't it make sense to keep the content source and the content display separate so they can be updated independently as technologies improve? I certainly wouldn't want to have to replace my existing 1080p LCD just to get the latest Apple TV hardware.

It also seems that LCD prices continue to fall due to fierce competitive pressures, which is great for us. Could Apple produce a 55" LCD that would be cost competitive with Samsung?

I just don't see the value of an all-in-one unit outside of saving the HDMI connection. I admit that I may be the victim of narrow vision here, so I'd love to hear other opinions on this.

same. i dont want to but a new "itv" when i just bought a new one

nik.cooper

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2009
Usb?

Can't they just unlock the USB port so I can use it legitimately? The Apple purist in me hates my hacked :apple:TV. But the techno-tinkerer in me loves it :D

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
Good...but where's the damn hardware update.

The moment they upgrade the hardware for Apple TV, I will buy one. It's been almost 3 years now and they still have the same old hardware.

I just bought a camcorder that records 1080p, and with a baby on the way I expect to have lots of home video in high-def that I'd like to be able to easily watch on my home tv. The ability to output 1080p video would be great.

I am just hoping for new hardware sometime this year because if there isn't, that is a pretty good sign that Apple is going to drop it all together, and I don't want that to happen!!! The Apple TV has SOOO MUCH POTENTIAL, if they would just update the hardware already, add 1080p, release the App Store on it with an SDK, integrate with iPhone, iPad, etc. and BOOM, you have a KILLER product Steve! Now DO IT!!!

You don't have narrow vision at all. The people who cry for this are.......... How can I say this nicely???........... Lacking knowledge and understanding!

seamer

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2009
Has anyone noticed anything new here? Better performance? unlocked USB?

zackkitzmiller

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2007
Release Notes:

It is always a good idea to make sure you have the latest software update for your Apple TV.

Seriously??

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I've been very happy with tv 3.0. Everything runs smoothly now and mostly all the functionality that I'm looking for is in there by default.

If the $1 TV shows comes to fruition, it'll be a further bonus for the device.

Enigma55

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2008
The update has probably enabled IPAD support or something. Maybe it also made the AppleTV more "magical."

mahashel

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2005
"the lab"
My fingers are crossed that this update un-gunkifies my AppleTV.
The previous 3.0 update was a serious performance hit for some reason. I'm not sure if it's just my box, but it went from snappy to sludgy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.