Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Soulstorm

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 1, 2005
Having experienced many problems with application submission with Apple's application Loader, I went to a university, and started uploading my 1GByte application from there. It took 20 minutes (they have a really fast connection), and that was a really painful procedure to be done using the iTunesConnect web page. Of course, this couldn't be done from my house, because of the dreaded 401 error that keeps showing up for no reason at all in the application loader, and because while using the iTunes Connect page the connection will be reset after 1 hour of uploading.

My application was rejected some days ago. I changed it, and I went in the iTunesConnect page to prepare it to accept my new binary. I thought that maybe the problem was fixed.

So I click on the option "Replace Binary" and then I select the "Upload Binary Later" option. I save the changes, and when I return to the main page, the application status is still Rejected, and the Application Loader does not find any eligible applications for upload! I have tried this many times with no luck. I can't go to the same university and use the same connection again, for many reasons that are irrelevant to the subject.

So, the problem remains:
1) I can't even get the system to recognize that I am about to upload a new binary
2) Even if I manage to do 1), I won't be able to upload my application, since Application Loader does not work!

Please, I am desperate on this one. Can anyone provide me with some information?

boyplunder

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2008
UK
So I click on the option "Replace Binary" and then I select the "Upload Binary Later" option.
I don't ever recall the opportunity to click an "Upload Binary Later" option when submitting a replacement binary after a rejection. As far as I recall, you simply go back into the app entry, upload the new binary by clicking the button on the right, and off it goes back in the queue.

drf1229

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2009
I'd think you're going to have big upload problems with a 1GB app either way. Also, if you look at most of the apps in the app store, they're extremely lightweight and don't take up much space. Think about this. A person just got an 8GB iPod touch. 1GB of that is taken up by music. 1 more GB is then taken up by your app. The person has just lost 1/8 of the of there capacity just from one app. Not to mention how painfully boring uploading and downloading your app will be. Do you really need THAT much space?

Darkroom

Dec 15, 2006
Montréal, Canada
can you explain your app, what it does and why it's such a large binary? i'm confident there are some effortless solutions for it's size to be greatly reduced.

Soulstorm

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 1, 2005
It's a free application about many kinds of medical procedures. It was developed for a client, and I really can't do anything about it. The app itself would weight around 100 MBytes, if it wasn't for his videos, that he insisted to include.

I know about all the things you mention, guys, and thanks for the replies and thoughts, but my job is to get this application online for my client, and I really can't do anything about the size of the app. There are dozens of mp4 videos made by him and some hundred pictures that are approx. 6-8Kbytes each. I did everything I could to reduce the size and that was the best I could do

If someone can explain me how can 70 mp4 videos of 10 minutes each fit into less than 1 GByte with video quality not being dropped at a point where it's unviewable, I'd be glad to hear from him (and that's not an irony, I would really like some advice, if anyone has any).

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Just be prepared for this app to get rejected for 'excessive bandwidth usage'.

Soulstorm

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 1, 2005
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Just be prepared for this app to get rejected for 'excessive bandwidth usage'.

Can you elaborate? What do you mean by excessive bandwidth usage?

Soulstorm

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 1, 2005
Make sure you've read the iPhone SDK Agreement, especially the section on Cellular Network.

What does cellular newtwork have to do with my app?

I think you need to re-read the description of my application above...

forcesteeler

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2007
1GB? really? Tell your Boss that his app will get rejected so don't even waste your time uploading it.

Plus nobody is going to download 1GB file over a cellular network. Look out for poor sales, if you even get any.

Cut out the videos or convert it to a smaller file format.

forcesteeler

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2007
What does cellular newtwork have to do with my app?

I think you need to re-read the description of my application above...

Downloading a 1GB file on a cellular network is like me trying to download a Game on XboxLive and it's 1 Terabyte?. How many users/customer's do you think will download that? It would take almost the whole day.

Soulstorm

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 1, 2005
Downloading a 1GB file on a cellular network is like me trying to download a Game on XboxLive and it's 1 Terabyte?. How many users/customer's do you think will download that? It would take almost the whole day.

You should distinguish cellular network from wifi in your posts. If you try to download a big file from a cellular network, you will receive an error message saying that this application needs WiFi.

That's why people have computers. To download big files.

Anyway, wether or not this application is good is not the point of this thread. I asked about connectivity problems, and all I get are answers considering the Application. I make things I am paid to do. I give my warnings, but the final words come out of the mouth of the one that pays. If something goes wrong, I will act accordingly.

Anyway, I think the subject is closed. There's nothing else to be said here.

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
Who is you?

The guy's application is a 1GB download. Apple's app size limit is 2GB. Apple doesn't allow apps bigger than 10MB (last time I checked) to be downloaded over a cellular network. Therefore, the application will have to be downloaded over WiFi or with iTunes. There will be no excessive cellular usage...in fact it doesn't really sound like there will be any network usage with this app once it is downloaded.

AndyCodez

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2009
Ah, didn't know that.
Probably only AT&T because they are trash. When I first got my iPhone i was able to download larger files, but now they limit you to 10 mb. Really annoying when you are out and about and want to buy a CD and you can't because its larger than 10 MB lol.

boyplunder

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2008
UK
Probably only AT&T because they are trash.

10mb seems to be an AppStore/iTunes limit, because it's the same here in the UK. I recall getting the same message when I tried to download the MIST game last year. Soulstorm has got a big file though. I thought MIST was huge at about 700mb.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.