Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Moof1904

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 20, 2004
While it's not unreasonable that a free RC will stop working on a given date, it's amazing to me that the software will shut down every TWO HOURS beginning THREE MONTHS before the expiration. As far as I'm concerned, that makes the RC non-functional beginning March 1, not June 1! Talk about a velvet hammer.

From a Microsoft TechNet email:

Windows 7 Release Candidate Expires June 1, 2010 - Shutdowns Begin March 1
If you are still running the Windows 7 Release Candidate (RC), beginning March 1, 2010, your PC will start to shut down every two hours in preparation for Windows 7 RC expiration on June 1, 2010. To avoid interruption, you will need to reinstall an earlier version of Windows, or the final, released-to-manufacturing (RTM) version of Windows 7.

ARF900

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2009
Agree, with above. You got a free year of OS, suck it up and pay the money?

niuniu

macrumors 68020
Mmm I don't think you're going to get anywhere with this argument. It's clear, and not altogether unreasonable. Most companies would have you trial a product, then have you buy it On release. Whereas a lot of guys are still using 7 post-release.

I'm always in for a software freebie, more than I'd let on on these forums :D But you can't complain about situations like yours above!

agbot

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2007
Silicon Valley
These Win7 RC terms were published pretty much from day 1 so I can't say it should be much of a surprise to anyone. For people that didn't bother to read the terms for their free copy of Win7, it'll become quite clear on March 1st. :)

Moof1904

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 20, 2004
I'm not suggesting that it should run forever (read my post) nor am I suggesting that they're doing something other than the fine print says they'll do.

My point is there are a lot less disruptive ways to warn people that the OS will stop working on 6/1. A big obnoxious pop-up would work. So would screen inversion or something else. Shutdowns every two hours for three months seems a less than ideal manner (and duration) to warn people.

MasterDev

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
I'm not suggesting that it should run forever (read my post) nor am I suggesting that they're doing something other than the fine print says they'll do.

My point is there are a lot less disruptive ways to warn people that the OS will stop working on 6/1. A big obnoxious pop-up would work. So would screen inversion or something else. Shutdowns every two hours for three months seems a less than ideal manner (and duration) to warn people.

1. It DID say all about the shut downs clearly. I thought that it was more clear than the actually main date.

2. If you're a REAL developer, you wouldn't be complaining. This (Windows 7 RC) was meant for developers to get ready for the RTM. So most developers don't even have the RC anymore.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
It's annoying for people whom wanted a free ride:p.

I just went ahead and bought Win 7 Professional edition for my desktop. The funny thing is my computer felt faster and more stable running the RC. Too bad I could not just have bought Ultimate stuck in the key and kept running the RC.:rolleyes:

James L

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2004

Couldn't you solve this tomorrow by buying a copy?

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"

In order to solve the 3 month / 2 hour shut down people just need to buy the OS
Problem solved

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

Moof1904

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 20, 2004
Couldn't you solve this tomorrow by buying a copy?

I have a copy. That's not the point. And yes, they made it clear. That's not the point, either.

I'm just commenting about how disruptive something that's supposed to be a warning is. It seems a rather punitive warning, rather than just a warning that's intended to "help prepare for [the expiration] on 6/1."

That's like saying "you can borrow my car free for nine months but three months before it's due back to me it's going to shut down every two hours, for three whole months, so that you don't forget to buy your own car."

It just seems overkill, that's all.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
It would be disruptive if the user had not been warned when the OS was downloaded and installed, but everyone knew it was coming, and that the "every 2 hour shutdown" was coming too. I think anyone who waited this long was seriously on borrowed time with a free OS anyway.

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.