Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fs454

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
I currently have a 2007 pre-unibody and I love my trackpad, and have used the unibody MBP excessively and hate the new trackpad. I mean, it feels really nice and is smooth spacious, but I tend to push quite hard when navigating the trackpad, which is comfortable to me. I solely use taps and two finger taps, and honestly wish I had a trackpad button for dragging and stuff, but whatever.

I'm planning on a new 15" or 17" (depending on if they up the 15" res or not) MBP as soon as the Arrandale MBPs are released, and I've been wondering if anyone's done this. Anyways, is there any way to disable the depressable portion of the trackpad, like lodge it so it doesn't move?

Gabriel GR

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2009
Athens, Greece
I currently have a 2007 pre-unibody and I love my trackpad, and have used the unibody MBP excessively and hate the new trackpad. I mean, it feels really nice and is smooth spacious, but I tend to push quite hard when navigating the trackpad, which is comfortable to me. I solely use taps and two finger taps, and honestly wish I had a trackpad button for dragging and stuff, but whatever.

I'm planning on a new 15" or 17" (depending on if they up the 15" res or not) MBP as soon as the Arrandale MBPs are released, and I've been wondering if anyone's done this. Anyways, is there any way to disable the depressable portion of the trackpad, like lodge it so it doesn't move?

System preferences ---> Trackpad ----> Tap to click.

It felt akward to me at first too. but now that I am used to it I feel I can't use any other trackpad.

fs454

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
System preferences ---> Trackpad ----> Tap to click.

It felt akward to me at first too. but now that I am used to it I feel I can't use any other trackpad.

Yeah I have that enabled, what I mean is sticking like a piece of paper or something somewhere safe in the assembly to stop it from clicking down, as I find it clicks down way too easily.

An odd request, but if no one has done it I'm bound to have my MBP apart on unboxing day to be the first.

Cali3350

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2009
I know some dude put a piece of cardboard in there but he ended up just breaking the springs.

mcruzader

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2008
You can tighten the screw that is holding the trackpad in place, so that it doesn't move. That screw basically controls how deep the trackpad goes when it is clicked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.