Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattpryor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2010
Hello and Happy Friday :)

My background is in Java programming primarily with Windows and Eclipse. I'm now in the process of learning Object C / Cocoa / XCode / Mac OS. Lots of new tricks for this old dog to learn.

I've found a book called "Learn Objective-C for Java Programmers" by Apress.

I was wondering if anyone else has used this book, and did they find it helpful?

Thanks in advance!

Matt

robj

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2009
Madrid, Spain
If you know Java, It will be easy to learn ObjC, at least the basic things :)

I did it and I used the Cocoa book by Aaron Hilleglass. It's a really good one, I knew nothing about Cocoa and ObjC and I learned pretty much reading the book.

In Addiction, you can use the reference that you can find on the developer site in apple.com it has good documents about the very basics like ObjC, XCode or Basic cocoa. As Aaron says in his book the best method to learn something is doing things, so start right now :D. Even a silly application with a button is a great thing to start with.

(For the title, you can edit it, if you go into advanced edit mode ;) )

mattpryor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2010
(For the title, you can edit it, if you go into advanced edit mode ;) )

Done and done, thank you!

Great advice, thanks Rob. You're right about the "best way of learning is doing" thing, I think I'll carry on with the books I already have and try to figure out the relationships with Java as I go.

Cheers,
Matt

MACloop

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2009
Germany
My advice is to take an extra look on the memory management issues in Objective-C. It is a bit "odd" for a Java programmer at first and I had to struggle alot with it - so - my advice is to really try to understand that part before you go on with to large projects!
MACLoop

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
I flipped through this book in a bookstore recently to see if it would help me understand Java programming better :D It was so-so. If you know your OOP methodology already, I wouldn't depend on that book as much a good books on C and Obj C.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.