Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

msjones

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 18, 2007
Nottinghamshire, UK
Hi,

I play in a semi pro covers band and have been messing around with the demo of guitar rig 4. I have to say I love this app and intend on purchasing it with the rig kontrol foot pedal.

I have set up amps to match the exact sounds of the artists we cover and am interested in using this emulation software during a show instead of my amp and pedal board.

Can somebody tell me, would this be possible? I have a 2x12" cab that I'd like to use. Would I need a preamp or is everything good to go?

Thanks in advance.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I think the modeled sound comes at at "line level". What you'd need is something like a PA system. Basically a very, clean amp and speaker like what a vocalist might use.

I think the idea of using computer amp modles is that you send the out put to a mixer board and then out the PA speakers

Teej guy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2007
The above, or you could plug it into a power amp that would drive your 2x12 cab, but you'd want to make sure that any cab/speaker emulation in GR4 was off. Sending an emulated cab sound to a real cab sounds horrible.

NoSmokingBandit

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2008
You should be able to route the Guitar Rig output into the clean channel of your guitar amp then run that into the 2x12 cab.
Like Teej said, make sure you have cab modeling off in GR or it will sound horrible.

msjones

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 18, 2007
Nottinghamshire, UK
Thanks for the responses, I appreciate the feedback. I am just about to order the rig control hardware.

Also is there anyway to use the amp models in GR4 in Logic Express 8? I record using logic but use my own pedals as I find that the presets in logic arn't great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.