Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Aug 27, 2004, 01:49 PM   #1
vraxtus
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to vraxtus
iPod battery replacement: anyone done it?

I'm thinking about getting the batt replaced on my 2G iPod.... but I'm wondering if I'll get a newer one (preferably a 3G) or just the actual batt replaced. It says on Apple's site that you won't get the same iPod back, so I'm hoping that if I send it in for service I can get a 3G back. Anyone have any experience with this?
Old Aug 27, 2004, 02:09 PM   #2
pdpfilms
macrumors 68020

I'd assume you'll be getting a 3G. Maybe if you wait a while longer you'll even get a 4G! maybe not. The only battery change i've every witnessed first hand was at smalldog electronics in waitsfield, vt when my buddy bought a replacement battery (it was around $30 for the battery self-installed). Maybe consider that if you're lookin for cheap?
good luck
pdpfilms is offline   0
Old Aug 29, 2004, 05:11 PM   #3
Elan0204
macrumors 65816

While I have never swapped the battery myself in any generation iPod, I have read that is is very easy to do in the 1st and 2nd generation iPods. Check out ipodlounge for details on changing the battery, and for stores that sell them. It seems that this is something that is very simple to do, and costs far less than sending in your iPod to Apple.

As for getting a 3G ipod in return, don't hold your breath. I'm sure Apple has old iPods lying around to serve as replacements.

To learn more about Utada, check out my iMix.
Elan0204 is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers