Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

riedling

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2010
Windows 7, a necessary evil in my world, will NOT let me share files to my imac. I've read the other posts on the subject here, but to no avail...I'm not even getting prompted for credentials, the imac tells me it cant be found. Both machines cna ping each other both by ip and netbios name. Here's the kicker, i can access files on the imac from windows 7 (via ip), just not the other way around..

Any thoughts? we dont want to copy everything over to the imac, because we have a good backup solution on the pc for everything. the better half wants to be able to access the pictures and videos we have there if possible.

windows 7 64 bit on the pc, a and fresh out of the box 10.6.2 snow leopard imac.

anything i could try would be appreciated. im pretty depressed about it :(

Thanks!

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Windows 7, a necessary evil in my world, will NOT let me share files to my imac.

Any thoughts?

Yeah. Get rid of your mac. Seriously, we tried to use a Mac Mini in a mixed network environment and Applecare (spoke to a 2nd level technician) told me that there was no reliable way to get it to "just work", and at best I could input the IP address each time.

Seriously, best of luck. If I was thinking properly at the time, I would have returned our mac mini that day.

hakuryuu

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2007
Lomita, CA
I have had mixed success at home, but I have gotten it to work. At home I have a Mac Mini Server acting as a Open Directory Master/Primary Domain Controller. I had to edit the registry and change some service settings in Win7 but I did get it to join the domain and share correctly. I got it to work intermittently without doing all of that though. How? I can't remember. Google is the ultimate IT guy.

At work I have my Mac Pro bound to our Active Directory domain and its all good.

bentoms

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2006
just a thought...

when attempting to mount the win7 share from the mac, are you prefixing the ip address of the win7 machine with smb:// in the connect to box?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.