Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Aug 27, 2004, 06:05 PM   #1
blackbones
macrumors member

LaCie External Went Nuts, need help restoring

So i just got a LaCie external drive for my powerbook as i need to back up all the info on my g4's second drive. Cutting to the chase.I backed up about half of it then it started giving me errors saying info wasnt able to be moved etc. so i stopped, ejected the drive and then plugged it back in.

Now all i get a warning that says
"you have inserted a disc containing no volumes that Mac OS X can read. To continue with disk inserted, click ignore.

it then gives me three options:

Initialize, ignore, eject

Hitting intialize brings me into the disk utility, selecting the lacie drive, it wont give me the option to do any first aid, and to be perfectly honest im not sure how to proceed, i need to have this all back up this weekend as im moving and am selling the g4.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance
blackbones is offline   0
Old Aug 27, 2004, 06:22 PM   #2
blackbones
macrumors member

I've now tried erasing and mounting it but while the mount option is available, clicking it does nothing.
Old Aug 27, 2004, 06:30 PM   #3
osprey76
macrumors 6502

What kind of drive is it? A Firewire hard drive or optical drive or what exactly?
osprey76 is offline   0
Old Aug 27, 2004, 06:47 PM   #4
blackbones
macrumors member

im sorry, its a firewire drive.
Old Aug 27, 2004, 08:30 PM   #5
osprey76
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbones
im sorry, its a firewire drive.
With a hard disk or an optical drive?

Also, did you check for a firmware update on Lacie's website?
osprey76 is offline   0
Old Aug 27, 2004, 09:37 PM   #6
realityisterror
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to realityisterror
try booting from your panther/jaguar installation disks and launching disk utility (i think it's under the application or file menu).... maybe from there you will be able to format the drive (which would probably be the quickest and easiest way to do things...)

btw, if you are just backing up your whole disk, you might want to try a program like carbon copy cloner.. that way it will be one click and it will work perfectly... i'm not sure what it is exactly, but i believe that when you copy certain files to another disk, their resource fork or something can get messed up...

hopefully this will do the trick for you...
and if you can't get the drive working, pm for my address

reality
Old Aug 27, 2004, 11:08 PM   #7
osprey76
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by realityisterror
btw, if you are just backing up your whole disk, you might want to try a program like carbon copy cloner.. that way it will be one click and it will work perfectly... i'm not sure what it is exactly, but i believe that when you copy certain files to another disk, their resource fork or something can get messed up...
The key thing CCC does is get all of the UNIX underpinnings copied. So, you can make an exact copy of a disk, including bootable ones and they will work.
osprey76 is offline   0
Old Aug 27, 2004, 11:23 PM   #8
blackbones
macrumors member

Ok, got the disc mounted, copied all my stuff onto the LaCie drive, even "ejected" the drive from the G4 a few times and then hooked it back up to make sure everything was going smoothly, it was, icon came up, info was there, the back up went fine....

so i just unplugged the lacie from the G4 and plugged it into the powerbook so i could transfer a few apps over.....

got the original error

"you have inserted a disc containing no volumes that Mac OS X can read. To continue with disk inserted, click ignore."

heart broken i plugged it back into the G4 to see if it would give me the error on there, but it didnt, the drive comes up in perfect condition on the G4tower but now gives me the no volumes error on the powerbook

whats going on around here? both machines are running same version of the os.....

to recap: the drive and all the info on the drive appear when hooked up to the G4 tower but i get the no volumes that OSX can read when i hook itup to the power book.
Old Aug 28, 2004, 09:06 AM   #9
osprey76
macrumors 6502

Wow, that's odd. Have you ever formatted the disk with one of the Macs or is it using Lacie's formatting? They're probably similar, but that's one possible problem. Also, did you update or check the Lacie's firmware?
osprey76 is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers