Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Closed Thread

Old Feb 13, 2010, 06:59 PM   #1
theblindbandit
macrumors newbie

Convincing Parents to let me have the iPhone

I am 15 years old and a responsible teenager (if there is such a thing). I am probably one of the biggest Apple fan ever. I have had basically every iPod model that exists at one point or another. I currently have an iPod Touch 64GB 3rd Generation. I love it, but I HATE having to carry that AND my low-quality AT&T phone everywhere I go.

I REALLY want the iPhone, but whenever I bring it up to my parents they just say something like "now is not the time" or "in your dreams". I even offered to buy it with my own money, and pay the monthly AT&T fee. I am sure they have good reasons why they wont let me have one, but they said that they are open minded and I have a chance at convincing them.

What are some good points to discuss with them about why I SHOULD have the iPhone. How can I persuade them to let me have one?

I would greatly appreciate any help with this problem of mine.

Thank you in advance!
theblindbandit is offline   1
Old Feb 13, 2010, 07:03 PM   #2
iceterminal
macrumors 68000

Talking

My suggestion (not being sarcastic):
Wintertime, shovel snow out of driveways and sidewalks for money.
Summertime, mow lawns for money.

Earn money to buy one yourself. That will show your parents that you really do want it, and if you're responsible like you say you are then this will merely prove it. It will also show that you really are willing to work for something you want.
Most 15 years olds just "want" mommy and daddy to give. They don't earn it. Thats why most things they have don't have a worth to them.
If you work for this, and you get it, you'll take care of it because it now has a value to you.

My point, if you want it you'll earn it and not just want someone to give it to you like children do.

I wanted my car. I worked, I earned. Welcome to your first steps in becoming an adult.
iceterminal is offline   2
Old Feb 13, 2010, 07:06 PM   #3
Rooftop voter
macrumors 6502a

Well, you'll have less **** to lose. That's a good thing. iPhones aren't cheap monthly, so I can understand your parents reluctance to want to get one for you.
Rooftop voter is offline   1
Old Feb 13, 2010, 07:08 PM   #4
-aggie-
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceterminal View Post
My suggestion (not being sarcastic):
Wintertime, shovel snow out of driveways and sidewalks for money.
Summertime, mow lawns for money.

Earn money to buy one yourself. That will show your parents that you really do want it, and if you're responsible like you say you are then this will merely prove it. It will also show that you really are willing to work for something you want.
Most 15 years olds just "want" mommy and daddy to give. They don't earn it. Thats why most things they have don't have a worth to them.
If you work for this, and you get it, you'll take care of it because it now has a value to you.

My point, if you want it you'll earn it and not just want someone to give it to you like children do.

I wanted my car. I worked, I earned. Welcome to your first steps in becoming an adult.
He already said he could pay for it himself and he'd pay the monthly fee.

This is BS or not, depending on what kind of student you are, but you could say it will help you with your schoolwork when you're not at a computer.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 07:10 PM   #5
pcs are junk
Banned

it does absolutely every thing. EVERYTHING! there are over 140,000 apps on the appstore, thats just the app store, add on jailbreak apps and theres around 200,000 apps. all these apps are created by different people, who each have different ideas. i can control my computer from any where in the world on my phone. i can use my phones camera as a webcam for my computer. i can play the real rockband on my phone. i have maps, stocks, weather, email, internet, ebay, you name it, i got it. tell your parents to read this post, and show them some other threads on this forum. you can do anything with this phone, and i mean ANYTHING!!!!!!
pcs are junk is offline   0
Old Feb 13, 2010, 08:26 PM   #6
Shenaniganz08
macrumors 6502

you are 15, if you can buy the phone and pay the monthly bill WITHOUT YOUR PARENTS HELP then do it

this doesn't mean that you can pay for your phone, and then ask for an allowance later

if you feel like you are man enough to be independent, then prove it
Shenaniganz08 is offline   1
Old Feb 13, 2010, 08:29 PM   #7
pcs are junk
Banned

im 14 and my dad bought my iphone and pays the monthly bill. i got my nagging out for myself to get one...now im trying to do the same so my parents can each get one.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 08:30 PM   #8
dukebound85
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcs are junk View Post
im 14 and my dad bought my iphone and pays the monthly bill. i got my nagging out for myself to get one...now im trying to do the same so my parents can each get one.
maybe you could hack the iphone os so it will run on your parents' current phones...
dukebound85 is offline   0
Old Feb 13, 2010, 08:31 PM   #9
pcs are junk
Banned

it would run like crap. and id have to code all the drivers and most of the features wont work. my dad has a chocolate 3 on verizon and my mom has a razr on verizon.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 08:32 PM   #10
dukebound85
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcs are junk View Post
it would run like crap. and id have to code all the drivers and most of the features wont work. my dad has a chocolate 3 on verizon and my mom has a razr on verizon.
lol, you sure?

care to try it out for me? I am very interested
Old Feb 13, 2010, 08:33 PM   #11
pcs are junk
Banned

yes im sure. its not even touchscreen its fricken buttons. imagine texting. lol.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 08:37 PM   #12
joebobthehob
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenaniganz08 View Post
you are 15, if you can buy the phone and pay the monthly bill WITHOUT YOUR PARENTS HELP then do it
He can't. You have to be 18 to open a cell phone account in your own name.
joebobthehob is offline   0
Old Feb 13, 2010, 08:37 PM   #13
Wicked1
macrumors 68040

Do what I made my 15 Year old and 17 year old do.

They had to save to pay for their phones, also they had to save enough to give us 1 years worth of Data plan so that would be $360 each then I would hook them up with the iPhone.

My oldest realized it wasn't worth it for him, the younger one has the money but decided for what he would be spending it was not worth it, however those were my requirements. So tell them you will pay for the phone and hand them $360 or $720 for the data coverage, I am sure if they see something like that much of a commitment from you they would allow you too, but then again I am not them. Good Luck
Old Feb 13, 2010, 08:38 PM   #14
dukebound85
macrumors P6

haha i like that

wants change pretty dang fast when you have to pay for them
Old Feb 13, 2010, 10:59 PM   #15
Shenaniganz08
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked1 View Post

They had to save to pay for their phones, also they had to save enough to give us 1 years worth of Data plan so that would be $360 each then I would hook them up with the iPhone.

My oldest realized it wasn't worth it for him, the younger one has the money but decided for what he would be spending it was not worth it, however those were my requirements. So tell them you will pay for the phone and hand them $360 or $720 for the data coverage, I am sure if they see something like that much of a commitment from you they would allow you too, but then again I am not them. Good Luck
epic parenting right here
Shenaniganz08 is offline   0
Old Feb 13, 2010, 11:31 PM   #16
FarSeide
macrumors 6502a

Learn to program in ObjC and tell your parents that u need an iPhone if you want pursue programming. U need the ability to perform hands on testing and not just through the simulator.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 11:34 PM   #17
kufford
macrumors 6502

Look. You are not old enough to enter into a cell phone contract. I would save up enough cash to cover 3 months of cell phone bills plus the ETF and offer that to them on top of agreeing to pay for all expenses for the phone/contract. Think about it from their perspective... They have relatively little control over what you do with the phone and yet they are the ones who are legally responsible for your bill with their credit on the line. You're not an adult nor are you entitled to the phone. Admit that, and give your parents enough financial incentive to prove that you are willing to accept the consequences should you not follow through with your word.

Act like an adult; they may treat you like one. Good luck.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 11:49 PM   #18
goobot
macrumors 601

i simply wanted and got my iphone as my first phone. i just got it for my b-day and had one ipod. maybe cause i didnt ask for much i got it

also that works. only ask for thing you really need. not simply cause the new ipod is .000001 thiner
Old Feb 13, 2010, 11:50 PM   #19
apple3g040193
macrumors 6502

i feel ur pain im 16 and had to convince my parents to let me get an iphone last year so they said if you get a job and pay for the 30 extra dollars a month plus the cost of the phone they would let me buy one they said that since scholl was the most important thing that i only had to work on the suummers and pay the data during the summer months maybe trying to work out a deal like this with ur psrnts would help good luck
apple3g040193 is offline   0
Old Feb 14, 2010, 05:56 AM   #20
greygray
macrumors 68000

Work for it. Won't hurt to do so to earn money. Even if you have the cash.
greygray is offline   0
Old Feb 14, 2010, 06:12 AM   #21
JoeG4
macrumors 68020

Send a message via ICQ to JoeG4 Send a message via AIM to JoeG4
Dang. lol.

There are many of us old farts here that work and stuff too, I'm 23.. $35 for regular phone vs $85 for an iphone...

Hrmmmmmm..

regular phone wins!
Old Feb 15, 2010, 01:29 PM   #22
luckyblue
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked1 View Post

Love it! Good for you! So many parents now days just give their kids whatever they want. Then they wonder why they grow up spoiled and dependant.

In regards to selling your parents on the iphone. I'm in sales, and sales 101 is to ask questions. There is no point in trying to convince them about things they don't care about. Ask what their concerns are, and what it would take to make them feel comfortable letting you get it.

Just make sure you are prepared to tell them what you are willing to do in regards to paying for it and the plan etc.

Good luck!
luckyblue is offline   0
Old Feb 15, 2010, 01:36 PM   #23
pcs are junk
Banned

its a funny story how i got my iphone. where i live, mcdonalds hires at 14, ok thats just an example, i was gonna work at my moms work which also hires at 14. im in 8th grade. that was just to get you to know what was going on. so i told my dad i would get good grades in school if he got me the iphone, and then i also said i would pay the bill every month by working at my mom's work. ok, so he got it for me. when i asked my mom if she could go into to work and ask her boss for a position for me, she said, "oh no, you have to be 14 and in 9th grade." LOL!!!! got an iphone and i dont have to pay a cent. thought it was pretty funny lol.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:45 AM   #24
numberforty1
macrumors 6502

Why not just show your parents this thread. i'm sure they'll see how badly you want the phone and how willing you are to pay for it.

best of luck.
numberforty1 is offline   0
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:50 AM   #25
OCS12
macrumors newbie

Just show them the "find my iPhone" feature and agree it won't be disabled. Most parents would love the ability to know the whereabouts of their 15 year old child anywhere, anytime...
OCS12 is offline   0

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone