Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Feb 14, 2010, 03:15 PM   #1
jcb815
macrumors newbie

Opening ports on OS X Snow Leopard - HELP!

Hey, I just got a 27" iMac i7 and want to forward my ports for downloading torrents. I can't find any websites that clearly show me how to open the ports. I have a Belkin F5D8235-4 router. I'm having trouble setting up the static ip address.

If you can find any sites that can show me or if you can please help!

Also I need help finding my DNS! Thanks.
jcb815 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2010, 03:44 PM   #2
NewMacbookPlz
macrumors 68040

Not sure about the ports, but for DNS settings:

System preferences-->Network-->(choose your network connection on the left)-->Advanced-->DNS tab at the top
Old Feb 14, 2010, 04:10 PM   #3
Chris.L
macrumors 6502a

Have you looked at PortForward?

To set yourself a static address can either be done as a DHCP reservation on your DHCP server or you can go into Network Settings on your iMac and set a static address by changing the IPv4 field from DHCP to manual and then port the necessary settings in. This may cause conflicts in the future tho.

To allow OS X to open the port, you should be able to just modify the Firewall and list that application as allowing incoming transmissions
Old Feb 14, 2010, 04:30 PM   #4
Denarius
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb815 View Post
Hey, I just got a 27" iMac i7 and want to forward my ports for downloading torrents. I can't find any websites that clearly show me how to open the ports. I have a Belkin F5D8235-4 router. I'm having trouble setting up the static ip address.

If you can find any sites that can show me or if you can please help!

Also I need help finding my DNS! Thanks.
For the ports you need to go to System Preferences>Security, then the firewall tab, then Advanced, then the + sign and chosse the relevant app. That said, I prefer to enable uPNP in the torrent program and in the router, which saves a lot of unecessary hassle. Snow leopard doesn't seem to offer specific port forwarding, only allowing it for specific applications.

For static IP, just pick something on the same subnet as your router, so if your router is 192.168.1.1 then you'd set:

router: 192.168.168.(any number between 2 and 254 that's not already used by a device on the network)
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Router: 192.168.1.1
DNS: 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4 (Google DNS servers),
Old May 15, 2011, 10:08 PM   #5
kwdaye
macrumors newbie

What if the what I am trying to port is not an application. I have an IP camera and I need to port 554, when I goto the firewall to add it there is no application for it. So again how do you open port 554.

Thank you,
Kevin
kwdaye is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2011, 10:57 PM   #6
MisterMe
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwdaye View Post
What if the what I am trying to port is not an application. I have an IP camera and I need to port 554, when I goto the firewall to add it there is no application for it. So again how do you open port 554.

Thank you,
Kevin
This is your first post in this thread. How do you expect people to answer your question before you ask it? What is more, you didn't bother to give the model of your router. You have to give information to get information

Now to get you a little bit further down the road: I assume that your router is similar to my Linksys. If this is the case, then you are not restricted to ports assorted with common protocols. The router's administrative web page for access restrictions allows any port to be opened. You may type in the name of any application and the range of ports associated with that application that you want opened. You may then add this (these) port(s) to the existing set of open ports.
MisterMe is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X