Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dave12345

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 19, 2008
Hi Guys - i've had my non unibody 2.4GHZ MBP for exactly 16 months and the battery condition says 'replace soon' - there's still 8 months left of warranty - will I be able to get it replaced or is the battery not covered ?

Thanks

npep

macrumors member
May 7, 2007
I have had mine replaced twice under warranty, should not be a problem depending on the cycle count of the battery.

npep

macrumors member
May 7, 2007
Hey - my battery cycle count is 657 - Thanks for any advice

Ouch! I think it has to be below 300 for them to replace for free...Do a search and check for sure, but either way, it never hurts to ask!

murphyrulez

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2010
I just had my battery replaced yesterday in my 15" MBP. This is the second time in 20 months. The first time was 10 months ago, and they did that for free. I had to buy the battery this time, because they said the first replacement only had a 90 day warranty. I had 135 cycles and only 60% life remaining. The genius told me that 100 cycles a year is normal wear, so I was over-using it. I don't agree, but had no other option but to spend the money. And he did say that they would only replace under warranty if it was under 300 cycles.

kdum8

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
My battery was down to between 10-20% health on less than 200 cycles and they replaced it for me. Although I have Applecare I got the feeling that the genius would have replaced it even if I didn't since it was well under the normal battery life expectancy.

He put it into another MBP and performed their standard battery test. You could actually watch the charge dropping by 1% every other second. Totally fried! Not sure what I did wrong... :confused: Perhaps I was just unluckly. It does happen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.