Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brewerth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2010
When I view my Trash folder in Finder it says I have 1,159 items. When I empty the trash a dialog box, after some time, reports I have 300,000+ items to delete. Am I safe to assume that means each and every file with the directories in my Trash? It made me a little nervous going ahead and actually deleting that many files without confirming.

Thanks

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Am I safe to assume that means each and every file with the directories in my Trash? It made me a little nervous going ahead and actually deleting that many files without confirming.

Are you asking if it's counting files within folders that are in the Trash?

I don't get the dialog box giving a number. I just get an "are you sure... you can't undo this" warning. But, I would expect it NOT to count items within folders.

Are you saying you went ahead and let it empty the Trash? What would you be wanting to confirm? It seems to be after the fact.

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
The count is only for the current folder you're viewing, not including any files inside folders and does not include hidden files.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.