Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

130344-meebo_1.jpg

130345-meebo_2.jpg

Popular multi-protocol instant messaging service Meebo has released a free dedicated iPhone application that appeared in the App Store yesterday. Meebo allows users to connect to nearly all of the major IM services, including AOL/AIM, Yahoo!, MSN/Windows Live, Gmail/Google Talk, Facebook, and MySpace.

Meebo's iPhone application offers push notifications, seamless shifting between EDGE, 3G and Wi-Fi networks, and automatic reconnection following loss of coverage. It also integrates with the Meebo.com web interface, synchronizing chat histories, and offers a built-in web browser for opening links.

130345-meebo_3.jpg

130345-meebo_4.jpg

Meebo users on the iPhone were previously limited to an iPhone-formatted version of Meebo's site.

Article Link: Meebo Brings Dedicated App to iPhone

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois
Almost a year after they DEMO'd the app...

If they update with the ability to email chat logs...then I'm sold and will say it's better than BeeJive for my taste.

EDIT: I take that back...it interfaces with their server, which stores chat logs forever!

fishmd

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2008
Sunny South Florida
Wow, I can't believe this app is free! Looks to be just as good if not better than Beejive and IM+ which are my current ones that I use, and payed for!

Definitely going to check it out. :)

Ambrose Chapel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Massachusetts
i wonder what took so long...i had been holding out for this app after the demo last year, but eventually gave up and bought beejive when it was on sale. that app has been pretty sluggish, and coincidentally just released an update to address performance...

anyway i'll give meebo a chance, why not since it's free...

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I have fond memories of using the Meebo webapp on my first gen iPhone when I lived in the dorms. Now I'm grown up and married and never instant message anyone. We just text and email. Maybe if push notifications hadn't taken so long...

iWoz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2009
East Midlands, U.K
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

This is amazing! Just as good as the paid IM apps!

Nabby

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
MobileMe works....

Yes, I believe so. MobileMe accounts should just be regular AIM accounts, so use your MobileMe username (you probably need @me.com or @mac.com tacked on at the end) to sign into AIM.

I can confirm that this works.

Nabby

dissdnt

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
Finally! yay! Now if stupid ICQ would allow at least two connections i'd be happy camper.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
Finally! yay! Now if stupid ICQ would allow at least two connections i'd be happy camper.

You can use the Meebo web interface at the same time as the iPhone interface even with ICQ. It will disable push on the phone while you use the web interface so you don't get duplicate notifications.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I assumed there must be a monthly subscription, but it seems to truly be free.

I’d love Skype to be included—and voice support for AIM/iChat--but really if I had this plus the Skype app (which needs push badly!) I’d be set.

I’ve been dying to get rid of the sloooooow official AIM app.

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
Been using this since this morning, and so far seems to be a great app! Very fast loading times (much faster than IM+ and the official Yahoo! Messaging app), and no "lost" messages so far (with both IM+ and Yahoo I had messages that never arrived at the recipient and vice versa). Seems to be a very polished app to be truly free.

djtanner

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2010
Anyone know how long meebo keeps you logged in for? Other IM apps specify a time constraint or if there isn't one, it will say there isn't one, but meebo doesn't seem to state either way. Loving it so far though! Hopefully the log-in time is at least a few days...

Espo

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2007
NY
Anyone know how long meebo keeps you logged in for? Other IM apps specify a time constraint or if there isn't one, it will say there isn't one, but meebo doesn't seem to state either way. Loving it so far though! Hopefully the log-in time is at least a few days...

It doesn't specify but signed on to AIM at about 1:00 and I accidently sign on to AIM on my PC at about 7:00 and the Meebo app notified me of an IM, so I would say its at least 6 hours.

secretanchitman

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
what a fantastic app. this is basically what ive wished for since the iphone came out. no fluff, no excess, but just straight IMs, multiple accounts, push notifications, and a very nice and clean look. perfect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.