Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Boy Genius Report claims to have received information from a source at AT&T claiming that the company will be offering the Wi-Fi+3G models of Apple's iPad for sale in its stores. According to the report, AT&T will be dedicating substantial display space to the forthcoming device.
One of our AT&T connects down south just hit us up with some pretty interesting info... According to them, AT&T stores will be selling the 3G version of the Apple iPad, complete with built-in display. We're told that the general plan is to convert one or two existing netbook display sections in each corporate AT&T location into a pretty substantial iPad display area.
Apple has not yet offered information about what retail channels will be available for iPad distribution. While the device will obviously be carried in Apple's own online and retails stores, the iPad could easily be carried by third-party retailers such as Best Buy and AT&T.

Apple CEO Steve Jobs noted during the iPad's introduction late last month that 3G service for capable iPad models can be activated directly on the device due to the contract-less prepaid data plan being offered by AT&T in the United States, simplifying distribution by not requiring purchasers to interface with AT&T's systems to enable service while at the point of sale. AT&T would of course be well-served by offering the 3G iPad models in its own locations as a means to spur customers to sign up for the carrier's data service.

Article Link: AT&T to Carry 3G-Capable iPad in Stores?

bigmc6000

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2006
Subsidized pricing...

Look - if you're going to go ahead and pony up the extra $180 for the 3G enabled version you're probably going to go ahead and keep the service. They need to offer a contract subsidized version for $150 or $200 off or something. Or maybe sell them at Wi-Fi only prices w/ a contract as well as without a contract.

I know people hate contracts but with something like either the iPhone or the iPad if I'm going to be paying that much for something that I know I'm going to be using the network a lot and I know I'm going to keep for the next 2 years why in world would I pay $200 more up front for the same freakin' thing?

Yeah, yeah, options, whatever. I had AT&T before the iPhone and I don't plan on leaving them so, IMO, the best way to sell these is subsidized...

scottparker999

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2009
"Boy Genius Report claims to have received information from a source at AT&T claiming that the company will be offering the Wi-Fi+3G models of Apple's iPad for sale in its stores. According to the report, AT&T will be dedicating substantial display space to the forthcoming device."

"Apple's iPad for sale in it's stores." - Grammar FAIL

Jul 29, 2008
I know who will sell a ton of iPads

"the iPad could easily be carried by third-party retailers such as Best Buy and AT&T"

Wal-Mart.

They already sell iPhones and iPods, and their customers very much want a simplified, compact computing/Internet experience. They ARE Apple's target market for the iPad.

Rot'nApple

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2006
I DID build that!
I wish some rumors would leak out about how AT&T's network was being shored up to handle the flood of iPads instead of rumors about what they'd be selling in their stores :-(

E-Mail Steve Jobs! Wasn't it stated that Apple looked at AT&T future plans to "shore up" it's network and Apple was happy with the continuing efforts of AT&T.

Who knows, you might just get a reply from Steve. However, Steve might just say... "You'll have 3G when you get 3G and you'll have full bars when you get full bars... Get over it! Steve." :eek::D:rolleyes::apple:

tomcattmatt

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2007
Beginning of the end of the netbook.

When people look at the netbook display and then at the iPad and then the netbook display it should be an easy decision. "Netbooks can't do anything right" In 2-3 years netbooks will be few and far between.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
When people look at the netbook display and then at the iPad and then the netbook display it should be an easy decision. "Netbooks can't do anything right" In 2-3 years netbooks will be few and far between.

Netbooks are only recession-bait to take advantage of high-volume/low-margin sales. Unfortunately, some industry players think it's a permanent solution.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
This isn't that surprising, and is more like a given, seeing as only AT&T can carry the iPad thru 3G interfaces. However, T-Mobile should start rolling out ads saying how you can use the iPad for much cheaper plans (although non-3G). That will spike out something much more interesting....

eoin3-

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2010
"Boy Genius Report claims to have received information from a source at AT&T claiming that the company will be offering the Wi-Fi+3G models of Apple's iPad for sale in its stores. According to the report, AT&T will be dedicating substantial display space to the forthcoming device."

the only FAIL I see is you trying to replace a possessive pronoun with the contraction of "it is"

in your world that would read-

"Apple's iPad for sale in it's (it is) stores."

ShiftyPig

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
AU
Netbooks are only recession-bait to take advantage of high-volume/low-margin sales. Unfortunately, some industry players think it's a permanent solution.

It is a permanent solution for people who own a PC and would like something to take on vacation, etc. but don't want to chuck a bunch on money into it. The iPad will be competing from the high end of the price range with some noticeable handicaps.

SteveSparks

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
St. Louis, MO.
I wish some rumors would leak out about how AT&T's network was being shored up to handle the flood of iPads instead of rumors about what they'd be selling in their stores :-(

There is currently no USA based 3G network that can handle the soon influx of iPads. I doubt the 4G networks I have seen would do much better

shaynes

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2008

You could not be more wrong. Your alteration is actually the grammatically incorrect version.

EDIT: Was beat to the punch here. Still, probably more than one reprimand is in order due to the sheer stupidity of the quoted post.

the-oz-man

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2009
For those of us not blessed with an Apple Retail store on every corner of our metropolitan city there are far more AT&T stores around and that means that more people will be able to have a "hands on" experience with this product. While I don't plan on buying the first version of this device, I will certainly head on over to my local AT&T shop to play around with this.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Good news, but I'm interested to know how many people will buy the wifi version just because it comes out first? I'm leaning towards 3g, mainly for GPS on the road and other trip related purposes, but it will be hard to wait another month. I had almost forgot about the extra month delay until recently because I was pretty well set on the wifi version and my birthday being in March...it seemed perfect.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
This isn't that surprising, and is more like a given, seeing as only AT&T can carry the iPad thru 3G interfaces. However, T-Mobile should start rolling out ads saying how you can use the iPad for much cheaper plans (although non-3G). That will spike out something much more interesting....

Tmobile USA, like AT&T , has a nationwide WiFi network. So while a 3G iPad wouldn't necessarily get 3G speeds (only edge), it could get faster internet speeds where happen to be next to a WiFi-n access point.

The only hiccup is telling folks that the iPad-3G-option version won't go full blast on 3G. If Tmobile tracks down folks who most likely will want to leverage the WiFi half more heavily that might work.

However, AT&T can also sell the WiFi + 3G + subsidy plan if they want to.
(AT&T gives the home internet folks access to WiFi. Would make sense to give the iPad folks access to WiFi too. The more mobile iPad users on WiFi means that many more users not on the 3G data network. AT&T gets the money even if they don't use to it to maximum. And once they are hooked to high usage.... sooner or later will be out in the boonies without WiFi and blow through the cap on the 3G ... jackpot ... hit them with over cap charges. )

Who will make the ipad hardware accessory to create an kiosk?

I think the iPad can perfectly be used in internet cafe's to give someone access to the internet.

But it needs an hardware item to block the home key.
Who will make that one :D

Finally the iPad can remove this from my memory (think: non working old computers that have doubfull virusses on them):
http://images.google.com/images?q=hotel+internet+kiosk

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.